Advanced Search

WE left & right differences observations

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box WE left & right differences observations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Acknowledging the fact that the WE has to be built in a way to keep the price down.

In a recent mail I received from Tuffy he asked “do u have to set like 1 degree different on left side to match bevel on right side?” the answer is yes .

My primary thought is the way the vice works since one side moves to allow clamping which probable means that although there seems to be an oversized hole in the base of the vice it is often hard to keep the knife absolutely centred between the stone arms also there is no reference mark on the centre line to act as an aid to checking that the blade centre is centred.
    A vice where both sides move equal distant when clamping would do away with this minor glitch but I suspect add some considerable expense to the WE although to be fair most of the expense is in the stones it would be desirable as an optional upgrade to have a vice that is self centring it would require a radical redesign of the vice to enable this and perhaps the whole We would have to change I imagine the super we shown off at the knife shows recently achieves just that.
    The second observation is the time factor to fine tune the position of the arms with the present set up which involve using two sets of three allen keys to reset an angle .
    Again my thought on this revert to that of a Sextant and the mechanism to set the angle on the arc which is very rapid since speed is the essence when taking sites since both the sun , moon & planets move quite rapidly 1Ëšrepresents 6 minutes in time .
    The mirror arm on a Sextant is moved roughly by pinching together two levers and then fine tuning with a micrometer again it would be a beautiful upgrade but would I believe be very costly but if one is to sharpen commercially I would think that the self centring vice & the levers & micrometers set to each stone arm would pay for itself over time .
    Once again Clay’s newest beast probable takes care of both observations in his own way.

I think that these upgrade would be desirable but I am not certain that in general people would appreciate the price since I am sure that a fair amount of cost on a sextant is the manufacturing of the arc and the micrometer adjustment.

Leo Barr
    Participant

I further observe that if I slacken off the screw holing the vice base in position to allow an element of visual self centring it still will not help the matter since even if the vice base was glued in position the oversized hole will nor allow movement of the vice since the hole in the square rod is not slotted and since this allen screw is not accessible when the We is in use it is not practical to allow movement by slacking off the screw since the vice and knife will then move away from the paddles so the oversized hole in the vice base serves no purpose .
    So in its present form we just have to deal with the differences from left to right.
    I was sharpening a 12 inch chefs knife and had the vice clamps about 3/4 of the distance away from the handle and I did not want to over tighten the vice risking bending – whilst sharpening the handle end dropped down slightly so I moved it back up & tweaked the vice screws and used my chest to stop the handle from dropping ; so today I decided to move the WE around on the base (since I have put some heavy flooring rubber along one side to stop the arms dinging the base) so that I could use the knife support to stop this happening again I found the knife support is too long to support the blade (I realise the knife support it to stop a knife flexing from side to side not necessarily to stop the handle end dropping ) I am tempted to shorten this rod since at the moment it is parallel with the top of the vice where as it would be better level with either the lower or top set of holes in the vice – perhaps I should find some bar of similar gauge and have one to line up with the lower holes and another to lineup with the upper holes in the vice ?
    I have now repositioned the vice base to try to minimise the offset of blade thickness I imagine this will reduce the discrepancy a little.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant

Mess with pictures so here they are again still problems so I shall put the next two in a reply.

Ist picture shows oversized hole.

Leo Barr
    Participant

I do not seem to be ale to remove pictures when editing so sorry about the mess.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.