Advanced Search

SOLD . . . WE hard carry case

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Want to Sell SOLD . . . WE hard carry case

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Sold

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Expidia.
    Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

Sold

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Expidia.
    Expidia
    Participant

You snooze you lose.  CASE SOLD . . . To ME!

A lightbulb went off when I was thinking I need to buy this case myself.  My friend bought the $250 WE case on wheels since his system was a WE100 upgrade to the Gen 3 he needed that bigger case so he could turn his system over and place it upside down in his case.

But that case for my needs is a monster. . . . I’ve seen pics of the gen 3 laying on its back in the big case, so I placed it next to the smaller case and it looked like it woould fit that way.  I did a little minor surgery on the foam as I just happened to have a real sharp :o) paring knife on hand.

It’s Puuuurrfect now.  I’m on my way over to my son’s house with my traveling system to give a few of his kitchen knives . . . the Wicked Edge!

Attachments:
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

You should have waited a couple more weeks for further price reductions, LOL!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

March… on another note my son gave me a 10 inch asus windows notebook today that he does not use anymore.  Do you think this usb microscope that you had linked to in another thread is still a decent one?

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microscope-Flexible-Observation-Magnification/dp/B00XNYXQHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521466450&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+usb+2.0+digital+microscope+with+flexible+arm+observation

MarcH

Still my favorite scope. I can’t say whether the scope is compatible with that windows based notebook/tablet? Enough power or storage? Battery life with scope in use? You’ll need USB port and a method to install software.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Expidia
    Participant

Still my favorite scope. I can’t say whether the scope is compatible with that windows based notebook/tablet? Enough power or storage? Battery life with scope in use? You’ll need USB port and a method to install software.

Good to hear.  As I didnt want to bother you with a PM and didnt know if you would see my question buried in this thread.  But since you commented in a post about it only last month I ordered it yesterday on Sat and it arrives tomorrow already (amazon’s  speed of delivery is amazing).

This Asus eee pc note book is a regular windows pc. I owned one like it myself a few years back.  The issue I see is its an XP operating system which is no longer supported by updates.  I couldnt even get explorer browser to work but chrome works fine and its a better browser anyway.

An issue I’ve read about running a laptop which Microsoft no longer supports with updates is it can be a security issue.

If the scope works out for me, but the laptop doesnt I have no quams of buying a new PC laptop for like $129 off amazon. Amazing how cheap PC’s are selling for. The description does say it works with XP.  Too bad in that I have a new ultra light Dell windows 10 notebook that I carry daily, but my company wont allow me to download software to it which Im sure Ill need to run the scope.

My two concerns on the scope were .1 it comes with a stand and platform of which I dont need either and I thought maybe the focal point of the unit was designed to be used with the stand.  But since you said you own it and used it so I figured running it close along the blade would not be in issue, so I ordered one to try. My other concern was the clarity of the lens in a $34 unit.

That wireless scope I originally ordered worked great but the software was finicky and the battery had to be recharged and the battery life just wasnt there IMO.  I’d rather invest in a $130-150 laptop.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Expidia.
    MarcH

expidia, I hope it meets your needs and more-so your expectations.  What is perfect for me may be unsatisfactory for you, or others.  It does everything I expect of it in a quality I am fine with.  Others here prefer higher quality photographs and better technology ($$$) scopes.  Remember it is a low price entry level scope intended to allow you see your sharpening results lighted and magnified without the need to lean your face and hands close to a very sharp knife blade while holding a small hand held loupe like device up to your eye.

Yes I use it hand-held without a stand. I have learned to tilt it in close, and out away from the knife edge just the smallest amount to get it to focus and lock on the area I want to view, without the need to continually adjust the focal ring. The LED dimmer is set at a position that works well for me without the need to adjust it, also.

I can pick it up, hold it against the blade, inspect and put it down, and get back to sharpening in a matter of seconds with out the need to futz with the scope and it’s settings.  I have applied tape over the focal ring and LED dimmer to hold their settings in place so I don’t inadvertently make setting changes with my fingers while holding the scope against the knife.

The software is basic and intuitive.  It allows you to select where you want to save your photos or videos.  I set up the “save to” folders first using Windows.  Then I direct the software to save by default to my designated folders in their location.  This allows me to easily locate my saved photo files for viewing and editing with Window Photos programs, and to attach and post to emails and the Forum if wanted.

Hope it helps.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Expidia
    Participant

March your scope came today.  I got lucky as the software to download works with windows XP but needs service pack III which this laptop has!

I can see what you mean to tape the dials so they dont move.  What tape did you you so as not to leave a gummy residual?

Also, I know you like to view the edge with the blade edge facing up in the pic. I noticed the wire is coming in from the exact top.  I wonder if I can reverse that  inside the scope so the wire is coming out thebottom when taking a blade edge face up pic?

Clarity on this $34 scope is just as good as that $99 scope I tried and returned.

I took this pic as a screen shot on the computer.

Attachments:
    MarcH

Blue tape works well.  Gummy residue hasn’t been an issue.  I’ve been using it for years now with the cord coming out of the top. I use this as an orientation guide; cord up means edge up pictures.  I did find some of my other model USB scopes had removable base caps that allowed the cord orientation to be flipped to the down position along with the cap being rotated 180º.  Funny thing was it flipped the picture orientation along with the cord.  The end result was the same thing.  If I wanted the view to be edge up the cord still needed to be out of the top??

TCMeyer uses a silicone slippery tape applied to the scope cowl.  It does enhance the scopes ability to slide along the knife edge.  I have used it too.  It is slippery although a little thick. If you apply the slippery tape get your focus set with the thick tape before you tape the focus ring in place.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Expidia
    Participant

Yes, the blue tape does work well.  I dont see an easy way to open it to change the direction of the wire anyway and as you say it might flip the pic over defeating the pupose of moving the wire.  I was concerned as eventually bending and flexing a wire when it loops up from the unit in the air like that where it might break a wire inside at the tight bend eventually, but seems yours has lasted using it like that.  What I’ll probably do is is use a velcro loop to attach the wire higher up on that wire rack back vertical, so the wire is coming down from a higher postion.

One other question.  Directions say it has two powers when you are touching the plastic nozzel end to the blade.  Which power do you yourself usually use  . . . the high or low power setting?

I think Im seeing “atoms” at the 250 power . . . haha

Thx

MarcH

I prefer high power with the shroud or cowl always in direct contact with the steel.  It is indeed a very close up view of a small, really, a tiny area of the the knife edge. TCMeyers prefers to use his scope on low power with the wider point of view.  Use it both ways to decide for yourself.

My scope has lasted longer and continued to work well and longer then I ever expected for the price.  It stays plugged in and powered up, LEDs on the the entire sharpening session, so it’s ready to use each and everytime and anytime I pick it up. It does get warm to the touch but has never faultered.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.