Advanced Search

WE GO Review

Recent Forums Main Forum WE GO Review

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I will revisit it down the road I suspect, we’ll see. You do a way better job hand sharpening than I ever did. All I could say were they were usable when I got done you know, OK. Nice video and review. I liked wet stones (arkansas) when I used a lansky but they are messy to say the least. I’m really anxious for you to do 10 or so knives on your WE and then see your reaction to the results. I’m looking forward to that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Loremipsum,  Just FYI, mineral oil you can purchase at the drug store/pharmacy is odorless and tasteless, food grade. and makes a fine sharpening oil without the downsides of Kerosene.

I believe when you put your time in and practice with your new Wicked Edge System you will be able to sharpen all of your knives, of any steel, with better results than you’ve previously achieved with all the other methods you’ve mentioned.

that’s why I am getting the WE to learn what I am doing wrong.  

The Wicked Edged may not teach you what you’re doing wrong with those other systems because it’s different.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Man, that video reminded me of how thankful I am that the WE diamond plates don’t require honing oil. That stuff is messy.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It’s like the difference between a chore and a “Zen like” experience; oily free stones compared to WE. LOL

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 37

Apologize to post video in Sksharp thread, but would like to have you guys updated.

Again, thank you WE guys for making this product, it is very good.

Things I messed up and you wouldn’t see in the video:

1. I broke the corner of the glass platen on first day (cross crash?)
    2. I did not secure the angle slot enough two times, seems there are small hole that you can really screw in for the angle and I did not know, so I messed up a bit.
    3. Still can’t whittle hair or shave.

Things I really like about the system:

1. Awesome mechanical design, very easy to sharpen, very easy to change stone
    2. Best building precision and quality of manual sharpening system I have handled. Probably the best on planet Earth, Solar system at the moment.
    3. Good quality abrasives. People buying the WE clone from China do not appreciate the mechanical quality and the abrasive quality.
    4. Nearly no knowledge required if you plan to get all the stones. I should have really gotten the 1.4/0.6 ceramics as well, that would really prolong the life of the lapping films, and they are expensive. Some knowledge required if you plan to do the last few steps freehand.
    5. I really like how consistent the edge is. There is a huge skill level required to get an edge as consistent you get from the Wicked Edge with little skill. Maybe the clamp system guided sharpener (TSPROF, Hapstone with clamp, KME) is close, but you could still have biased grind if you are not concentrated.

Things I would really like to see some day:

1. Venev Bonded Diamond abrasives for WE. These are the best kept secret of diamond abrasives.
    2. Dry system: actually maybe okay? I wonder if the system is water resistant, I am a bit worry about the metal dust. If it is okay I will spray water onto it.
    3. More third party stone: demise of proprietary abrasive. I say the premium worth it, but if more people can afford this system that would just be super awesome.

Aside from the premium that some guys would boo boo on, there are really nothing wrong with the WE, in fact I really recommend it. Thanks guys. Now off to sell more knives just to buy more accessories…

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Cool video Loremipsum! Your edges will get better with experience and as the diamond plates break in, but I think you’re getting pretty nice results right out of the gate. I’m not even certain if it is possible to get a hair whittling edge before the diamond plates have broken in.

You actually can get other types of abrasives for the Wicked Edge. Third party retailers like Jende Industries and Oldawan Tools offer Shapton glass stones, Shapton pro stones, and Naniwa Chosera stones fitted to Wicked Edge handles. I believe that Ken Schwartz also has several offerings of abrasives that you can ask to have mounted to WE paddles. You can put whatever type of abrasive you want on the blank handles that Wicked Edge sells as long as you have some way of getting it cut to the proper size.

Water is not a significant problem. I believe that all of the metal parts are either aluminum or stainless steel. People regularly use whetstones with their systems without long term corrosion issues. There is actually a video where Clay suggests using a wet sponge on the diamond stones in order to prevent the metal dust from becoming airborne.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Gazillion
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 24

Good evening sksharp,

Thank you for taking the time to review and compose such a well thought out analysis.

Derek

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

My pleasure Derek, thanks for replying and the kind words Sir.

sksharp
    Participant

Update on the WE GO!

I’ve had a couple more weeks with the GO (I’ve had it 4 wks. now) and the stones are now starting to break in, 15 or so knives. I went to a friends house today and by some strange coincidence I brought the GO and a set of 5/3.5 leather strops which I carry in the GO case. One thing lead to another and before I knew it I had sharpened 6 knives in about an hour and a half.

The look on the faces of the 4 guys that I sharpened for was fantastic and I have to say that their knives were sharp. While the GO is limited by the 200/600 stones, with just the addition of the 5/3.5 strop it is really impressive. The angle range and precision of this little sharpener just blows me away.

While I love my 130 and can do things with it that I can’t with the GO, the GO is proving to be more fun than I could have imagined. This little guy continues to impress.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.