Advanced Search

Washer Size At Bottom Of Rod

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Washer Size At Bottom Of Rod

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joel Fiorentini
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 26

I have seen several examples where people have slid a washer down to the base of the rod to keep the stones from hitting the joints. I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my Pro-Pack 2 and was going to pick up a couple washers to have on hand. What size and type washer has anyone found to work well? Thanks.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I haven’t used one, but the rod is a 1/4″ diameter, if that helps.

Joel Fiorentini
    Participant

Thank you. I will pickup some 1/4″ ID washers.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

I have seen several examples where people have slid a washer down to the base of the rod to keep the stones from hitting the joints.

It seems people were doing this on the “old” arms only.
    You are not going to have this problem with the new arms, like the ones included in your PP-2.
    With the old arms it was possible to “hit” the actual joint, where the new joint has some distance to the bottom of the stone.

Although some also fit washers to stop grit falling into the joint.
    Not sure if that helps.

Joel Fiorentini
    Participant

Thank you Chris. I will not worry about it then. I will concentrate my efforts on eleminating grit getting into the ball joints.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

You can also use super magnets (a.k.a. rare earth magnets). These will catch the metal dust. I don’t know how much grit from stones there is. May have been Chris? I saw cut off fingers from rubber gloves to cover the joints.

Joel Fiorentini
    Participant

I’ve already bought the rare earth magnets (saw them used on a video by modifiedz on youtube). I will try the glove finger trick. Very clever idea.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

You can also use super magnets (a.k.a. rare earth magnets). These will catch the metal dust. I don’t know how much grit from stones there is. May have been Chris? I saw cut off fingers from rubber gloves to cover the joints.

That was someone else.

I simply swapped ball joints with a sealed version.
    No dust problem here. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.