Advanced Search

VSTA Instructions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Kaplan
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 27

Hey Guys,
    I finally got around to writing up the instructions for the VSTAs. Tom, thanks for the great input and for the nudge in the ribs to get it done.

As you read this please keep in mind that this is my first draft. I would love everyone’s input. If you have a VSTA and know someone who hasn’t used it, it might be very helpful to have them read the instructions and try to use it. When writing instructions it’s always best to have fresh eyes πŸ™‚

Using the Variable Stone Thickness Adapter

Some Wicked Edge stones are thicker than others, particularly the Naniwa-Chosera Waterstones. To ensure that the shape of your bevels stay consistent, an angle adjustment must be made when switching to these stones.
    The Variable Stone Thickness Adapter is a guide that holds the place of your angle, and lets you repeat your angle when switching between stones of different thicknesses.
    Helpful tip:
    To achieve perfect results with the Variable Stone Thickness Adapter your sharpener should have micro adjustment capabilities. If you have a model without this capability it’s OK, you will just need to remove your Base Rod and turn it around so the detents are facing away from you.

Step 1 – Place the Adapter on the Base Rod
    Remove the Guide Arms from the Base Rod (degree bar). Slide the Variable Stone Thickness Adapters onto both sides of the Base Rod so they are facing up and away from you. (Note: there is a flat side and an indented side to each adapter. The flat side goes towards the Vise Jaw.)

Step 2 – Find your angle
    Slide your Guide Rods back onto the Base Rod. Slide your stones onto the Guide Rods and find your angle. Click here for detailed instructions about how to find your angle[/url].

Step 3 – Setting the Adapter
    Once you have found your angle, slide the Variable Stone Thickness Adapter over until it is flush with your stone. Then, while holding the stone flush against the adapter with one hand, firmly tighten the Adapter to the Base Rod with your other hand. Repeat on the opposite side. (Important: From this point forward the Variable Stone Thickness Adapters should not move at any time during the sharpening session. They are now set as the guide for your other stones.)

Step 4 – Using the Adapter as a Guide
    When you are ready to switch to a stone with a different thickness, slide the stone onto the Guide Rod and loosen the collar that holds your angle in place. (Notice that when you place the stone with a different thickness against the adapter, there is a gap.) While holding the stone against the adapter, adjust your angle setting until there is no longer a gap and the stone is flush with the adapter. Then, while holding the stone flush to the adapter, re-tighten the collar to the Base Rod. Do this on both sides of the sharpener.

Step 5 – Progress through all of your stones and strops
    Feel free to progress through all of your stones and strops. You will want to check each stone and strop against the adapter to see if an angle adjustment needs to be made. (Important: if you progress to strops, it is very important to clean off all of the water, stone slurry, or any other particles from the adapters prior to touching the strops to the adapters. Doing this will prevent you from damaging or contaminating your strops.

You can leave the Variable Stone Thickness Adapter on your sharpener all of the time. It is designed to not get in the way of sharpening.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Thanks for the in-depth instructions, Kyle!

It’s been 6 months since your last post… Try not to stay gone so long this time. πŸ˜›

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

“Step 5 – Progress through all of your stones and strops”

This is good for stropping at the same angle as sharpening. Isn’t there a fairly strong recommendation to drop the stropping angle a couple of degrees?

Otherwise, looking good.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Ξ¦

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

You can still use them even if you do lower your angle. I put my strops flat against the VSTA and the use the micro adjust to adjust it in a little so I know I’m in about the same amount on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Kaplan
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 27

That’s a really good point about the strops. Thanks guys. I just edited the instructions and added a step 6, specifically for stropping. Here it is:

Step 5 – Sharpening
    Feel free to progress through all of your stones. You will want to check each stone against the adapter to see if an angle adjustment needs to be made.

Step 6 – Stropping
    When you progress to leather strops, it is very important to clean off all of the water, stone slurry, or any other particles from the adapters prior to touching the strops to the adapters. Doing this will prevent you from damaging or contaminating your strops. When you use your leather strops, set your angle 1-2 degrees more acute than your original sharpening angle. This is important because the leather is pliable, and if left at the same sharpening angle as your stones, it can roll over and dull your edge. You can reset your stropping angle without moving the adapters.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.