Advanced Search

Video Comparison of Old v. 2017 Gen. 3 Clamps

Recent Forums Main Forum Video Comparison of Old v. 2017 Gen. 3 Clamps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I received my 2017 generation 3 clamp upgrade pack today (thanks Kyle!) and I recorded a short video comparing the two clamps. I’m no youtube professional, but I thought others out there contemplating the upgrade might find this sort of rundown useful.

In my haste, I totally forgot to mention anything about the fact that the internals of the clamping mechanism have been upgraded as well. To hear about that, please check out the more in-depth video that Josh made a few weeks back where he detailed the changes and gave some inside baseball on the  design process that Clay and the team at Wicked Edge went through to settle on the changes present in the most recent iteration of the clamp.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

Great video man. Thank you.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, great vid. I’ve been a WE user for five years now (my first jubilee ) but now I am expecting a Gen 3 clamp (a whole Gen 3 Pro, in fact), I feel like a new user again, watching videos all the time…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

When you get a few knives under your belt with the new clamp Organic please let us know what you opinion is from your first hand experience with it. I will be looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it. Thank you sir!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Snecx
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 56

Your clamp looks smoother than mine. Mine is pretty strong and makes a click when near full engagement. Is that normal?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have no idea if that is normal or not since I have a sample size of one unit. Re-watching Josh’s video it seems like his does not make a clicking noise when he clamps a knife either. I’m sure if you contact Wicked Edge they can give you a clear answer.

Snecx
    Participant

Well I fixed the clicking issue. It’s a minor one. I took everything apart, and found the offending piece. I simply sanded off the corner of this edge (on both sides) and it’s now smooth.

IMG_4505

It’s a simple fix  🙂

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 51

I was having the same issue with the click but was told it was normal.  Glad you found a resolution.  I will try the repair as soon as I find time.

Also, I am having a problem with the jaws not wanting to open on their own with the spring force.  I have to push the bottom of the jaws to get them to open every time after they are closed.  I will evaluate when disassembled and see if I can tell what the issue is.

Given the issues I am having, I still love this new clamp!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Snecx
    Participant

I was having the same issue with the click but was told it was normal. Glad you found a resolution. I will try the repair as soon as I find time. Also, I am having a problem with the jaws not wanting to open on their own with the spring force. I have to push the bottom of the jaws to get them to open every time after they are closed. I will evaluate when disassembled and see if I can tell what the issue is. Given the issues I am having, I still love this new clamp!!

I had the same issue! And it’s the same issue. It was that plastic/polymer contact piece rubbing in between the clamp holders. It made a click when clamped because of the tight fit, then it wouldn’t come down on its own at certain times. The moment I sanded it, it fixed both the clicking and the “jammed” jaws.

Now the jaws open smoothly upon unlocking. It’s about as perfect as it can be!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Rich
    Participant

YES!!  That was exactly it!!  I ran both sides on the 100 grit stone and both the “click” and stick are GONE.  Smooth as butter!!  Awesome!!!!

Thanks Snecx!!

One more question, is this (picture) anything to be concerned with?  I sanded it and put frog lube on it but rust can’t be good for smooth operation!

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Snecx
    Participant

Wow, I think I’m gonna coat mine with grease as a preventative measure. Glad you solved the clicking!

Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

Looks like rust. Is your unit new, Rich? If so I’d contact WE about it. Doesn’t seem right.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

YES!! That was exactly it!! I ran both sides on the 100 grit stone and both the “click” and stick are GONE. Smooth as butter!! Awesome!!!! Thanks Snecx!! One more question, is this (picture) anything to be concerned with? I sanded it and put frog lube on it but rust can’t be good for smooth operation!

That’s crazy looking. I haven’t seen anything like that, but I live in a dry climate. A couple of questions to help me understand:

Are you in a very humid environment?
    Are you using water stones?
    Has your sharpener been exposed to water in some other way?

-Clay

Rich
    Participant

Clay,

Thanks for jumping in.  I have used Chosera stones once and constantly cleaned up water as it dripped down the clamp (no signs of slurry inside when disassembled).  I live in Oklahoma, not dry but not extremely humid, and the sharpener has been sitting on my work bench or inside the house since I received it.  Never exposed to water outside of the single use of Chosera stones.  I just sent Kyle a higher resolution picture to get his input.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks Rich. I’ll try to see if I can duplicate your experience by sharpening once with Choseras. If you’ve got the fully enclosed vise, I can imagine it would stay wet in there for a long time once water entered from the stones.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.