Advanced Search

Using an ultrasonic cleaner clean stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Using an ultrasonic cleaner clean stones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mrjoker
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

I have used my ultrasonic cleaner a couple of times to clean my stones and it seems to work remarkable well. I recently read a comment online (outside of this forum)  and they claimed that the manual stated not to do that.  However, I have looked my manual over from front to back and cannot find that anywhere.    Does anyone know of any reasons not to use ultrasonic?  Thanks in advance

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

The plates are attached with Foam mounting tape.. Not sure if what you are cleaning them with could cause the adhesive to fail but if just soap and water which is the suggested manner of cleaning provided by WE you are probably ok.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve never tried the ultrasonic route but do remember someone stating that there was a solvent used in ultrasonic cleaners that degraded the mounting tape.  Should be a non-issue if you use soap and water.  I keep a spritzer of alcohol handy to clean diamond lapping film and have found that it works great on the diamond stones too.  A little agitation with a finger tip is all that’s needed.  I have also read here that it works good for cleaning strops.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I don’t see what is so difficult about using warm water, dish soap, and a scrub brush. I also use round brushes to clean the guide rod holes out with. Piece of cake. It is a lot easier for me to clean them the prescribed way than to use my UC.

mrjoker
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Thank you all for your replies.  I inquired with  Wicked Edge and they stated that they didn’t think there would be a problem using an ultrasonic cleaner and they have not ran into any issues thus far. To be transparent, they also told me to watch the adhesive on the stones for any breakdown and to let them know if I notice any.   As mentioned, I have used it a couple of times without any issues and without any solvent. If I do run into any issues in the future, I will be sure to post.

Thanks to all,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.