Advanced Search

Using a “steel” between WE sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Using a “steel” between WE sharpening

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ck
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi.  Given the precise angles that we are obtaining with the WE system, how do we tell our friends to maintain their blades between sharpening?  Everyone is taught to use a “steel” but no “layperson” is good enough to match the angle that we are using to produce a very sharp edge.  If I sharpen a knife at 18 degrees I’m betting that a layperson will “steel the knife at an angle of 20 plus degrees.  To make matters worse, I’m betting that no two “passes” are at the same angle.  How do those of you who are experienced advise your “customers”?  PS, I’m a relative newbie so be kind :>)

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by ck.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, ck.  I ask those friends that I sharpen knives for simply, to not sharpen these knives, at all.  To bring them back to me, more often, when their knives need sharpening.  To not continue to use them past the point where they don’t cut well, any longer.

For those knife users that do really make use of their knives, like my fishermen friends, for instance, I suggest they buy and make use of inexpensive fixed angle knife sharpeners like a “Lansky Turn Box”.  I try to teach them how to use it properly.  This is a win win for both of us.  I also try to make sure they do not use one of the carbide steel “pull-through sharpeners” that totally destroy knife edge steel and the edge profile.

I ask that they don’t use knife steels since they do remove the knife edge steel and create a micro beveled edge.  Although a ceramic rod type steeling rod sharpener if used with proper technique, lightly and conscientiously is not the most terrible of knife edges to re-sharpen.

Alot of this depends on the knife and steel quality of the knives I’m asked to sharpen.  Better quality steel knives do sharpen quite well with the W.E., and will stand up well to normal use and keep or hold their edge well when used properly with a wood or soft nylon composite type cutting boards.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

I have been under the impression that a steel has nothing to do with sharpening. It merely straightens the edge which bends over with use.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

This is from a blog relating what these smart guys think:

https://scienceofsharp.com/2018/08/22/what-does-steeling-do-part-1/

https://scienceofsharp.com/2019/06/08/what-does-steeling-do-part-2-the-card-scraper/

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

Interesting. Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.