Advanced Search

Using a ceramic rod for touch ups?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Using a ceramic rod for touch ups?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Readheads (sorry I said Red Heads before) I just noticed what you have done there on your knife block for adding those extra loops to the side to hold another steel.  It looks like you (or maybe the block came with) cable mounting clips.  I have some of those in stock.  I have two ceramic rods coming and I have two blocks, but only two sharpening steel holes.  I did not want to take the steel and toss it into a drawer or my kitchen utensil rubbermaid box as that will only serve to bang up the sharpening grooves.

Thanks for that pic!

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I’ve considered using the 2 you referenced but you still have to hold the knife perfectly vertical by eye. You do get a “better view” though. However, the convenience of having the Messermeister always at the ready strapped to the side of my block is worth it to me. Just like all freehand stuff you get better over time and can start to feel/hear/see the swarf when your contact angle is right.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

The Jende ceramic rods came yesterday.  Very well packaged.  So far doing exactly what I was wanting them to do which is standing up my floppy edge back to supersharp condition without having to remount back into the WE system each time.  I’m sure remounting takes off  more metal than the ceramics  will between sharpenings.  From the vids I watched, eventually honing the edge will remove enough edge material that I will have to re-sharpen in the WE anyway. But hopefully I’ll get 6 months out of a freshly sharpened edge with light ceramic rod honings in-between.

Can’t note yet, if I’m adding a micro bevel using the rods as I’ve only done a few so far with a few swipes on the black rod.  My loop will tell me, but I don’t care as I’m just looking for that super sharp edge back. My next WE sharpening would remove an extra bevel anyway.  I’m sure having to drop back to the 1000 grit, the 1500 and stropping removes more metal than the few swipes on the black ceramic rod, certainly less than using a “steel” that came with both my knife sets.  So far, I disagree with the article that said you can’t stand up an edge with a ceramic.  I saw his pics.  But a few swipes on each side removed or stood my floppy edge to super sharp again.  And I don’t even have a PhD or an electron microscope :o).

These rods are also of a bigger diameter than the two steel rod holes in each of my kitchen knife blocks.  Note: I also like the rubber tips that keep the rod steady on my counter while swiping.  Less chance of breakage too.  But I’ll use the Read Heads method noted in a pic above where he attached his ceramic to the side of his block.  I could drill the steel holes bigger, but the blocks are old and could crack.  I’ll go to HD and pick up some type of loop fasteners of the same diameter and attach my two new ceramic rods one on top of each block postioned in my picture below.

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

$1.64 (for 6) 3/4 inch plastic cable clamps at Home Depot.

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant

Expidia, I agree with everything you said. Over time, you will start to feel when you have full bevel contact. The homemade hacks I have to help are:

Grinder
    Extension
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8CiCNHSBS3GgtHNLA

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Cool hacks!

Also, could you expand a little on “using sticky thumbnail scrapes” is?

Thx

Readheads
    Participant

I added a video of the sticky thumbnail scrape to the link below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8CiCNHSBS3GgtHNLA

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant

SmartSelect_20190323-113705_Video-Player

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

what a great vid!  Thanks Readheads for that.  Thats what I call a clear explanation with video of what your sticky thumbnail scrape testing method for sharpness is all about indicating when its time for me to do a few swipes on my ceramic hone to touch up an edge again.

I always get grossed out when people show how sharp their edge is by shaving the hair on their arm . . . which is usually when I’m eating my dinner as my computer resides on my kitchen table.

Expidia
    Participant

Moved . . .

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.