Advanced Search

use a riser block on Gen III vise?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance use a riser block on Gen III vise?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 40

I have recently upgraded my clamp to the most recent Gen III.  Works great on my outdoor knives but of course I can’t get it down to 12 degrees for my Japanese Kitchen knives.  I was going to purchase the low angle adapter but I still have the low angle riser block from my previous set up.

Is it possible to use this to raise the Gen III clamp similar to the Gen I to achieve those lower angles?

Thought I would ask here before I took everything apart and see if it may work.  Just in case someone has already done or tried it.

Thanks.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Jeff, l have installed a riser block, (the old style square riser block) with my WE130 and also with my Gen 3 Pro.  Both set-ups use the lastest Gen 3 vises with the tension adjuster and split jaws.

The riser block does allow you to achieve lower angle settings.  Maybe not as low as 12 dps.  That depends on how tall the knives are. Also you can use the LAA after installing the riser block.  Be aware that you will sacrifice the ability to get your very wide angle settings, that is greater than 20 dps or so.

You will need to purchase longer screws.  They don’t have to be hex head cap screws.  Flat head phillips fine thread machine screws work just as well.  I think they’re 10-32 but I don’t remember off hand.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

I just looked at some pictures I took of my modded/ upgraded WE130 with the riser block.  I am able to achieve angles down to around 8º per side with a tall Japanese Chef’s knives, with only the riser block, not with the low angle adapter, (LAA).

min-left-side-angle-tall-knife

modded-WE130-riser-block-and-longer-square-bar

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    rummels
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 34

MarcH

Is there a place where I could purchase the riser blocks that you referenced?

Rummels

Jeff
    Participant

I just looked at some pictures I took of my modded/ upgraded WE130 with the riser block. I am able to achieve angles down to around 8º per side with a tall Japanese Chef’s knives, with only the riser block, not with the low angle adapter, (LAA). 

Marc.  Thanks for the pictures and info.  I’m going to put mine together and see what I can get.  I’m thinking knives like a Santoku and Nakiri I will  be able to do the 12 dps (I actually only do my Nakiri down to 14 dps so certainly no issue there).  Gyuto probably fine also.  Not so sure on a Petty.

I’ll let you know how I make out but if I don’t have to spend more on the low angle adapter, already owning the riser block, that would be a bonus.

Thanks again, Jeff.

Jeff
    Participant

MarcH Is there a place where I could purchase the riser blocks that you referenced? Rummels

You can find them on the WE website under upgrades but if you don’t already own one and have the Gen III vise I think you would be further ahead to just get the low angle adapter.

I’m considering going this route instead because I already own the riser block from a previous model.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Is there a place where I could purchase the riser blocks that you referenced? Rummels

I don’t believe Wicked Edge offers a riser block alone, only as part of an upgrade kit.  My block was a part I had no longer needed from a previous upgrade for the standard vise set-up pre-2016.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Replies: 120

Jeff,

I went to the upgrade page and it did show the riser blocks.  However, that was the first step in determining what system you have.  After you choose the riser block it asks you choose your vise type.  Then a page loads with the upgrades that are applicable to your equipment.

Maybe Clay can wiegh in on whether a riser block is available?

Ed K.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.