Advanced Search

Upgrade Vise Prototype TEST REPORT

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Upgrade Vise Prototype TEST REPORT

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It may have been done but can the next tester clamp a quarter at one end of the vise and see if the jaws kick in, out, or stay parallel.

They wouldn’t be able to since the unit we sent around doesn’t have the play in the pin holes nor the modified wedge.

-Clay

Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

Being the skeptic I had to test it myself. If my test piece is similar in design to the Gen 3 it indicates that not only does it accommodate for a tapered blade but a wedge that is parallel works and there may not be a need for one that is wider in the front than the back.

Attachments:
    Daniel Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 22

Arrived home from work today to find Josh’s package with the Gen III vise waiting for me! After getting the kids to bed, I was able to mount it up, sharpen a knife, and try mounting a few others. Planning to do more tomorrow with more convex ground blades (more below), but very pleased and will sum it up to say that I will be buying a Gen III system (sans stones) for the convenience of the vise and the quick angle changes.

Click on any picture below to see other view options.

So, here is my Gen II before the change:

And here it is after:

I decided to mount the Gen III vise without the riser since others had done it with the riser, IIRC. Putting the two side by side (Gen II with riser block):

My wife has been asking me to sharpen up a few knives for her for a week or two (which I’d normally jump on, but work has been nuts), but this gave me an excuse to make time for it. Here is a cheap paring knife she wanted done:

Since the vise is taller, the knife rests further up on the stone at rest. I’m thinking longer arms would be better with any system using this vise. I sharpened this one at 18 degrees and could tell I didn’t have much room to go lower, but I had used the upper mounting holes with the depth key. If just mounted the knife further up and ignored the depth key, then lower would of course be possible. Just thought I’d see what a beginning user might try and what the results would be. The knife sharpened up beautifully of course.

Next I tried mounting a few other knives. Most others seemed to be showing pocket knives, so I mainly gave the fixed blades some love, though the first was an Opinel folder:

Mora HD

Carter Bowie

Carter Original Neck Knife:

Spyderco Bushcraft:

Ran into some issues with the highly convex ground blades. My Fallkniven F1 barely fit in the vise and I was able to (with force) rock it back and forth and it stayed canted where I left it. I didn’t take any pictures of that because I think the test might have been marginal due to the thickness of the blade and the vise limits. I tried the Fallkniven WM1 next:

This one still could be rocked a little and remained canted, and you can see (hopefully) that there are gaps around the jaws where it is gripping:

I want to do more testing on highly convex ground knives tomorrow. I have a whole slew of Bark River knives to try.

Finally, with some discussion of asymmetrical grinds, I wanted to try the ultimate asymmetric grind, a single bevel kiradashi:

To my utter amazement, the jaws still managed to center the blade, at least as far as my eyes could tell! I tried to photograph it, but the photos weren’t everything I’d hoped they would be:

More to try tomorrow and then I’ll be passing it on. Thanks for this opportunity, Clay! I’ll be calling tomorrow with a Gen III pre-order. :woohoo:

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

This may make me sound like a prick, :blush: however I wish I had know about this fourm, topic, and product a little sooner… lol. I just got my WPS pro pack II this last week, however I would have gladely waited and got this gen III. Form what I am see this thing is awsome!

Manny
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 15

You can always upgrade the jaws, then you have best of both worlds. Happy sharpening.

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

You can always upgrade the jaws, then you have best of both worlds. Happy sharpening.

I may just have to do that. lol.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Clay, any update on the nano grip?

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Yeah, although it seems rather insignificant juxtaposed with other major product rollouts (i.e. new vice!), it happens to be something I’m extremely excited about… True story.

Josh
    Participant

Yeah, although it seems rather insignificant juxtaposed with other major product rollouts (i.e. new vice!), it happens to be something I’m extremely excited about… True story.[/quote]

Me too… I wanna wait on ordering the new vise until this stuff is applied and we can see how it works 😉 Maybe I should just wait for gen 4?

wickededge
    Keymaster

They’re working on it for us and said it shouldn’t be too long before we get some prototypes.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

Clay, I’ve got an idea/question…

Would there be a way to mill the vise to be able to have a center screw/lever that you could make one adjustment to spread the base pins of the jaw apart or closer for thinner blades? I think this would alleviate a lot of your problems w/ thicker/thinner blades… you could go up to 3/8″ thick blades or something crazy this way if you could figure it out!

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Since the clamps are so easily changed, what about a couple different versions optimized for different tapers (both front/back, and up/down), as well as different tapers?

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Since the clamps are so easily changed, what about a couple different versions optimized for different tapers (both front/back, and up/down), as well as different tapers?

Blacksheep,

Nice Idea!

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Clay,

Any news on jaw options for the Gen 3?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, Any news on jaw options for the Gen 3?

I finally have some samples in that I’ve been testing. We had them made optimized to blades that are 1/16″, 3/16″ and 1/4″ thick. So far it’s looking really good. After I get back from Shot Show next week, where we’ll test them extensively, I’ll get pricing and lead times sorted out and we can get them announced here.

We could use a beta tester for some of the 1/16″ jaws if anyone is interested.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.