Advanced Search

Upgrade Vise Prototype TEST REPORT

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Upgrade Vise Prototype TEST REPORT

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I didn’t actually sharpen any knives, I just mounted and unmounted a bunch of different ones of a few different grinds.

Ah, a man who understands [the] objective. Excellent.
    I’m curious to see how the mounting goes with knives of various grinds and sizes, so please keep us all updated… Hopefully this thread won’t get hijacked by any “Hey, Look at My Shiny New Edge!” replies. :pinch:

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I see these are available for pre-order. Where can I find pricing information, and I assume the vises available in 3 or 4 weeks will have the slight design changes mentioned in this thread?

I’m looking forward to this for not just FFG blades, but all blades as I spend a few minutes in setup each time making sure both sides of the blade are 0 degrees. This also discourages me from removing the blade from the vise for any reason until I’m sure I’m through because it can be a hassle going through the setup again. I’m really liking what I see here.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

……..Received it from nephew Cliff on Monday, mounted the vise and ran a few knives through Tuesday morning, packed it up and put it in the mail to Eric Tuesday afternoon. (Eric send me a personal message and I’ll give you the Tracking #)

Quick impressions: I’ll have one sooner or later. Likely, sooner.

……..I didn’t actually sharpen any knives, I just mounted and unmounted a bunch of different ones of a few different grinds.

Quickly, here is my work bench.

There’s a sliding shelf under to the left. I’ve got my whole setup in a wooden tray — at the end of a sharpening session, I pick up the tray and can slide the whole thing out of the way and, for the most part, out of sight. I can then just grab the tray and put it back up on the bench and I’m ready to go.

I’ve switched my bases….. I had a few feet of pre-fabricated laminate countertop from another project, out of which I was able to form a couple of bases that have a natural “back stop” for the sharpener’s arms to rest on.

The one on the right I’ve got my little bent arm scissor sharpener. The countertop is dense and, for me, heavy enough that it doesn’t rock during sharpening. And, they are much easier to drill holes in.

I originally got the PPI with the PPII upgrade so I already had two vises and didn’t have to disassemble my main setup to test the new vise.

OK…. as I mentioned, I’ll upgrade sooner than later.

My workbench is pretty level but I’ve also got a couple of different levels on the base itself and check it all with my angle cube…. not that my OCD is peeking out from behind the curtain…..

I mounted pocket, slip joints and lockbacks in the vise. Hollow and Full Flat grinds. Tactical and culinary. Love it.

The lock down is as solid and tight as I would ever need.

On the Henckels mounted in the picture, the new vise handle was kind of in the way — until I learned how to use it correctly.

Mounting & unmounting multiple knives multiple times I found consistent measured results.

~~~~
    Thanks for letting me in on this pass around….

USPS tracking just told me the vise is in Windsor, CO on its way to Eric….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

On the Henckels mounted in the picture, the new vise handle was kind of in the way — until I learned how to use it correctly.

The block that attaches the prototype handle to the cam shaft is longer than the production style. Both the prototype and the production models allow for the block to be attached in a few different configurations so that it’s not so much in the way and so that lefties can use it too. Gib, did you try flipping it around at all?

-Clay

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

The block that attaches the prototype handle to the cam shaft is longer than the production style. Both the prototype and the production models allow for the block to be attached in a few different configurations so that it’s not so much in the way and so that lefties can use it too. Gib, did you try flipping it around at all?[/quote]

By the third or fourth knife it became a non-issue. Just a minor procedural habit change!

And then later, as I was rolling it around in my thinking, saw this too, Clay. I just put it on and tried it this way…. there’s some flexibility and versatility there I overlooked at first.

Nicely done. Nicely done.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That said, man, I really can’t stand the flat bar that engages the clamp… Regardless of whether the bar is removable or not, I think improving the overall mechanism needs to be developed further.

Thanks for the feedback. What don’t you like about the flat bar and what are your observations about the overall mechanism that could lead to further development? I’ll all for making it as good as possible.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Looks like I’m next up on the list after Eric! looking forward to it 😉

great feedback so far!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I have it in my mitts now! Going to install it and I have a bunch of knives I want to try. Like Gib, I am not going to sharpen but clamp and re-clamp and ponder..and c….heck with this I got a toy to play with!
    More later..

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Guys! Can somebody pa pa paleeeeez shoot a video?!… You don’t even have to talk. You don’t have to sharpen. Just clamp. And unclamp.

Josh
    Participant

Guys! Can somebody pa pa paleeeeez shoot a video?!… You don’t even have to talk. You don’t have to sharpen. Just clamp. And unclamp.

HAHAHA that’s funny 😉 I am planning on doing one Steven… for what it’s worth.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

HAHAHA that’s funny 😉 I am planning on doing one Steven… for what it’s worth.[/quote]

Sweet! You’re up after Eric so I guess we won’t have to wait that much longer.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

On my way to ship it to Josh now!

Sweet Design! More comments and pictures later.

Josh
    Participant

Got it in! getting ready to shoot some videos… gonna be tomorrow before they are up though. I will keep you posted!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Got it in! getting ready to shoot some videos… gonna be tomorrow before they are up though. I will keep you posted!

:woohoo: !!!SWEEEEEEET!!! :woohoo:

ken vanderhamm
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 7

Looking foreword to your video and report, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.