Advanced Search

Update on nano grip

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Update on nano grip

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Hi there

In the thread about the new vise jaws there are a few posts on some coating for the jaws referred to as nano grip. I just wanted to check if that is already applied to them if you buy them today or if that is coming in a later upgrade? And in that case when?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Johpe
    Participant

This is the post I’m referring to:

Nano grip

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve been testing it but so far have been underwhelmed. We’ll keep working with the manufacturers to see if they can come up with a formulation that will work. So far it’s been a bit like using electrical tape – it compresses and gets gooey and slippery.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I don’t know how well it would work for this purpose, Clay, but to tape off knives before clamping I always use Hansaplast soft tape. The stuff comes on a roll in a yellow holder. It doesn’t get gooey or slippery and it leaves no glue residue. Best of all: it has the feeling of slightly rough paper, so it does provide some friction.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

I don’t know how well it would work for this purpose, Clay, but to tape off knives before clamping I always use Hansaplast soft tape. The stuff comes on a roll in a yellow holder. It doesn’t get gooey or slippery and it leaves no glue residue. Best of all: it has the feeling of slightly rough paper, so it does provide some friction.

Can you provide link to the one you use?

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’m not 100% sure, since I took it out of the box. But I think it’s the following: https://www.kruidvat.nl/hansaplast-soft-hechtpleister/p/16918

On the Hansaplast site you can also find it: http://int.hansaplast.com/Products/soft-tape . I think it’s the same, but the box looks slightly different.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Johpe
    Participant

I’ve been testing it but so far have been underwhelmed. We’ll keep working with the manufacturers to see if they can come up with a formulation that will work. So far it’s been a bit like using electrical tape – it compresses and gets gooey and slippery.

Thanks for the info. So I guess that the nano grip wasn’t deemed really necessary to securely clamp knives in the new jaws (since they’re available to buy right now)?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info. So I guess that the nano grip wasn’t deemed really necessary to securely clamp knives in the new jaws (since they’re available to buy right now)?

Right, they work really well, not perfect for all knives, but pretty good. I’ve been playing with stripping away the anodized coat at the contact points on the insides of the jaws. That provides a little more grip.

-Clay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.