Advanced Search

Uneven Ceramic…

Recent Forums Main Forum Uneven Ceramic…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric F
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 9

Along with my WE130 I got the ceramic stones.  I noticed that one of them is VERY uneven.  I posted on facebook about whether this was normal and it seemed that most people said it isn’t normal, but shouldn’t matter.  Figured I’d ask here also.  Thanks!

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That indeed looks a bit uneven. Whether it matters in practice… I think you have to find that out, I cannot say it from a distance. But if it doe,s just give WE a call. Their customer service is very good.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Eric F
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 9

Sounds good thanks.  I’m not sure I am good enough yet to tell whether or not it matters… 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Eric it appears they failed to position the stone properly when mounting and adhering it to the plastic handle. It’s supposed to fit down into a recessed rectangular space and it may be sitting up on the edge and not down flat.  It also possibly may be an improperly cut stone. It’s hard to tell from the side angle picture posted, as Mark76 stated. Either way, WE will replace it.

You surely should have it to your liking since those ceramic stones will last for years and years to come.  (Also, be aware the ceramics have a very long break-in or wear-in period till you’ll see the best results from using them.)

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If the face of the stone is flat and mounted uniformly from one end to the other, it won’t matter.  The face will align itself with the edge you are sharpening.  I’ve had several stones (not ceramics) which were improperly mounted.  The pockets are molded with very tight tolerances to the perimeter of the stone and occasionally you’ll find one which is too small for the length of the stone and the assembler didn’t notice that the stone is sitting high on one end.  I just cut the end of the plastic off with a hacksaw blade and the stone would drop into place.  Yours is the first I’ve seen with the stone cocked along the side, so removing the plastic edge is not the simple solution.  As stated above, if the stone appears the same on both ends, it will work just fine.

However…  in the case of ceramics, I’d be concerned that a good portion of the stone is not supported properly and that an accidental blow to the face with a hard object might crack the ceramic.  I think that WE would gladly exchange yours for a new set or tell you how to fix the one you have.

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.