Advanced Search

Uneven angles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tj Johnson
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Hey guys what’s up? I’ve had this problem occur MULTIPLE times. I set my knife in the rig and measure it out to let’s say ‘B’. I set my angle to 16 degrees per side exactly measuring it with the stone on the arm with the Angle Cube attached. I make sure it’s perfectly 16 degrees per side by lifting the stone with the Cube on it and setting it back down in the middle of the blade. I do this about 5 times and it will read 16.00 every time. When I re-profile both sides you can TELL both sides are not the same. It looks about 1-3 degrees off on one side. My ONLY idea is that I’m spending too much time on the right side, because I am right handed it might be possible the left is not being ground as much. Any ideas, suggestions? Has this happened to you guys before?

-Tj

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

There can be a couple of other reasons…

• The blade was ground asymmetric to begin with, either too much on one side, uneven angles, or (usually) both. (I see this A LOT). You can usually see it by looking down at the tip from the spine side, or at the heel from the edge side. Also, many factory sharpened knives are deburred by buffing one side at a higher angle, resulting in a steep microbevel, so if you’re grinding both sides until you get a burr, you end up grinding the “buffed” side too much.
    • If you’re doing a major reprofile, make sure you’re not making it asymmetric, by spending too much time on one side. Work both sides even. If you just work one side until you raise a burr, it can make the edge off center. (Maybe what you referred to in your post)… … I’m spending too much time on the right side, because I am right handed it might be possible the left is not being ground as much. So, make sure you’re working both sides approximately the same.

Looks like it might be the second one, although it could be a combination of these. I’ve said it before… sharpening a knife precisely, tells you how bad they often are to start with. :side:

Edit: Clay has a video on correcting an uneven grind…

Tj Johnson
    Participant

Thanks for the help. It’s strange though because I can raise a burr on one side, then erase and re-raise a burr on the other within a few strokes. The angle seems to be off about 1-3 degrees but I don’t want to change one of the angle arms and make it worse or something.

Tj Johnson
    Participant

Thanks again for the video I’ll give that a try.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The question is in the FAFQ, too. Look here for a long read!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks for the help. It’s strange though because I can raise a burr on one side, then erase and re-raise a burr on the other within a few strokes. The angle seems to be off about 1-3 degrees but I don’t want to change one of the angle arms and make it worse or something.

I think that’s a clue you’ve ground too much on one side, or it was offset to begin with.

The question is in the FAFQ, too.

I put this in my signature to remember it! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.