Advanced Search

Trophy Skinner

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Trophy Skinner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7

Is this blade profile possible?
    I’m having a bit of difficulty mounting this blade and believing I’m going to get an even bevel. To make it more difficult it’s FFG except for about 1/2″ at the bolster. AUS-8 and I plan on a nice convex edge
    Any input greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Yes it is. Just go slow. You may need to do it in two parts.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree with Dan… I’d do it in two steps. Step 1 is the straight section. For step 2,, I think I’d set the belly of the blade at top center.

It’s also possible that you’d find a semi-sweet spot with the blade horizontal by moving the tip well forward of the vise – maybe as far forward as possible.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hey torqued60!

How did you make out on sharpening the skinner?

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

This from:
    Molecule Polishing
    https://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/angle-changes-on-the-wicked-edge-revised/

Really REALLY helped me understand the “sweet spot”. A knife like this could be done in one if you aligned up the curvature of the tip at the same height as the blade edge is on the stone.

Just like Josh showed in his video..but a little different.. Josh is showing this radius effect of the circle constant angle area..and trying to minimize the difference the edge is from the circle..if you are above the straight line or outside the circle..your angle will be less on the edge..and if you are closer or inside the circle you will be at a wider bevel angle.

you make a mark on the stone while it is resting on the arms.. Make the mark right at the flat part of the blade. Now you can scoot the blade back until the tip is at the same mark. The angle the stone will make on the blade is the exact same angle on a straight line and ALSO on the outer edge of a circle if drawn from the top of the blade and the center is at the arm pivot as well as an intersecting line from the circle edge going straight up. Check out the drawings! They helped me a ton…The math hurt my head..but drawings are cool as hell!

I know I keep posting this video..but it really helped some thing gel..and when I read this article and seen the pictures..Rock solid..
    So how did the skinner turn out? huh? howdya do it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.