Advanced Search

Tried my first knife today…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 33

So I matched the stones to the blade and it sits nice on the top of the blade but as I come down to the tip the stones come away from the point. I have started a decent edge except for the tip.

Kenneth
    Participant

Ok. I just got out my digital cube. The knife bevel was at 20 degrees. I just checked the stone and it was 15.4 degrees with my wet pro. In order to get a 20 degree angle I had to move the setting to 24.5

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m guessing that you’re measuring the angle as the stone moves along the edge of the knife.  You can’t do that without rotating the angle cube to keep it perpendicular to the edge.

In any case, the angle does change as the belly of the blade sweeps downward.  The objective is to keep the angle constant, which is the subject of “finding the sweet spot.”

Kenneth
    Participant

Placing  my handles at the center of the blade I have to take my micro adjustments all the way in (as far as they will go) to reach 20 degrees

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

The Gen 3 Pro comes standard with 8″ guide rods.  They allow for a very limited range.  You may want a longer optional guide rod. (at least 12″).

You’ll certainly need these for when you’re able to purchase and use the low angle adapter.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Kenneth
    Participant

Is there a reason I have to choke up all the way on my micro adjustment to get my 20 degree angle correct?

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Possibly you could post a photo of this situation you are describing or maybe explain what you mean by choke up in some other words.

First thing you need to do is ignore the angle numbers printed on the semi-circular blue base plate.  They are just a suggestion or a reference guide and not for actual measurements.  All that matters is that the angle you want, needs to be the angle reading you get with your digital cube.   Just slide or rotate the central angle lever right or left to move the black end brackets closer together for lower angles or further apart for wider angles.  With the angle cube in place use the reading to get close to the angle setting you’re seeking.  Then do the fine angle adjusting with the micro-angle adjuster knobs. When you dial in the angle reading you want on the cube, lock the adjuster screws in that position.  When you’re done, it doesn’t matter what number the lever is pointing to, as long as your cube reading is on the angle of your choosing for your knife.  The printed numbers are just a guide.  Go with your angle cube.

If you run out of adjustment range with the micro-adjuster screw, then move the central lever one click in, (to the left) or one click out, (to the right) as needed to give you back some adjuster screw length.  That is if the screws are backed all the way in and you need a wider angle, click the lever to the right, one click.  Or, if the screws are out as far as you can turn them and you need a lower angle, still, click the lever to the left one click.  If that one click change isn’t enough adjustment then do a second click. Then redo the micro-angle adjustments each side separately, using the angle cube readings.  Each knife side is micro-angle adjusted independently.  The adjuster screws may appear to be in different positions, comparing the left side left to right.  That doesn’t matter.  As long as your angle cube reading is correct on your desired set angle when checked on both sides, you’re good to go.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.