Advanced Search

Touching up the edge

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Hyun
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 15

I don’t need to reprofile or start at 100 grit to sharpen my knife. I want to touch it up a bit. Where do you start for a touch up? 400? 600? Thanks!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

If you’re using a marker to help identify the angle and you’re sure you’re hitting the apex of the edge with the stones, you should be fine with the 600# stones.

I don’t need to reprofile or start at 100 grit to sharpen my knife. I want to touch it up a bit. Where do you start for a touch up? 400? 600? Thanks!

-Clay

Phillip Hyun
    Participant

I do use a marker as well as careful set-up measurements to the mm. Should I be feeling a burr at 600 before moving to 800?

wickededge
    Keymaster

If you’re using good magnification to examine the edge and verify that the marker is all gone then you probably don’t need to go all the way to a burr but if you’re not sure you’ve reached the edge then working to raise a burr will be important.

I do use a marker as well as careful set-up measurements to the mm. Should I be feeling a burr at 600 before moving to 800?

-Clay

Phillip Hyun
    Participant

Thanks. I should probably invest in a good magnifier. Any suggestions on magnification level?

wickededge
    Keymaster

There are a bunch of magnifiers available on Amazon. Here is the little one I use and I’ve been very happy with it: 60x Lighted Loupe.

Thanks. I should probably invest in a good magnifier. Any suggestions on magnification level?

-Clay

Phillip Hyun
    Participant

Thanks Clay!

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Replies: 159

I still can’t get over how easy touch ups are. I thrashed my Hogue chopping saplings just to torture it, and rolled over part of the edge. A minute or so with the 1000 grit diamond stones sorted it right out using my noted settings. I think that’s another good reason why so many folks here mention the 1000 grits for daily use; they strike that balance between an attractive matte finish and being easy to touch up with.

I also need some magnification one of these days, if anything I’m horribly guilty of overdoing the burr now and then!

Phillip Hyun
    Participant

I also need some magnification one of these days, if anything I’m horribly guilty of overdoing the burr now and then!

Amen brother! Me too!!! I just ordered one of those nifty 60x lighted magnifiers that Clay suggested. Dirt cheap!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.