Advanced Search

Took all day.. but worth it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Started on a Cuisinart 8″ chefs knife yesterday which had some chunks out of it.  I need to invest in the lower grit stone, using a 100 Grit to clean up the entire 8″ and remove all the damage is very time consuming.

My stone progression is 100,200,400,600,800,1000,1500,6 micron lapping film, all at 20 degrees, then strop 4 2 1 .5 microns at 1.5 degree reduction and fairly lite pressure.

After I started the 6micron LF I could see I had not been diligent with some of the previous grits.   I fell back to the 800 stone and worked back to the lapping film with very good results.  This knife is by far the sharpest I have done, in that it would cut the hair on the back of my hand.

attached are some before and after images.

BTW, that before shot, what you are looking at is the bevel covered with Red Marker and the  edge where I had removed the marker with the 1000 grit stone set out at a wide angle to find the sweet spot.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by airscapes.
    Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Nice work!

That had a very coarse finish on it in the before photos. Was that a factory edge?

airscapes
    Participant

No it was not, this is one of 3 knives a friend gave to me to sharpen.  He gave me all the knifes they don’t use, once his wife saw he first one come back she was yelling at him for not giving me the ones she uses.. I think they will be coming to me next week.

That edge was probably from his chefs choice knife killer.. He is a hair stylist and used to sharpen straight razors back in the day .. you would think he would know better.. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Curious whether you checked if it would whittle hair before you took those last couple photos.  I bet it would….you are much more fastidious than I am and I can get hair whittling without too much fuss about it.

I agree with you on the more aggressive stones and that is why I purchased because once the 100s where down, they won’t cut like they would new.

Great job!

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

I bought the 50/80 several months ago for cases like this, they save a lot of time.

airscapes
    Participant

I bought the 50/80 several months ago for cases like this, they save a lot of time.

I built a modified 1×30 belt sander using a Harbor Freight belt sander, treadmill motor and control,  custom 3d printed drive wheel, and angle gauge adapter.  This let me re-profile the bevel to the correct angle using progressively finer belts.  Then go the the WE and start at 400, eliminating the huge deep scratches of the 80 grit..   The sander is also great for a lot of other thing so was not exclusively for knife sharpening.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.