Advanced Search

Today at the Whole Life Market sharpening

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Had a new knife gig today.
    Cancer foundation thing – Whole Life fare – not a large as the farmers fare, but could be.—3rd year now.
    Nice crowd – sounds like next thur. I will be busy again
    Vid is almost 19 mins.
    See you sat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDw95j9CwUg

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Video notes:

CLAY – watch at the 4:18 mark (personal message for you…) :whistle:

Benchmade 9050 :dry: (Gonna keep it?)

I don’t do it, but don’t see anything wrong with the towel idea (for stones, not strops).

Did you ever eat any BBQ?

🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Video notes:

CLAY – watch at the 4:18 mark (personal message for you…) :whistle:

Benchmade 9050 :dry: (Gonna keep it?)

I don’t do it, but don’t see anything wrong with the towel idea (for stones, not strops).

Did you ever eat any BBQ?

🙂

Working on it! :silly:

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Love your vids, Tuf! Please keep ’em coming.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Yes I do as well…
    Always interesting!

Mark76
    Participant

Hey Tuff,

What camera do you use? Interested in getting one myself.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Yes..
    Was looking at some digital video recorders just a couple of days ago…

All kinds of prices from under 200 to lots, lots more… ??

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Hey Tuff,

What camera do you use? Interested in getting one myself.

The low sound vids were shot with gopro hero3 silver using remote.—720/30 @ wide. other vids with my beach video camera….h20proof kodak – zx5, but all others from the past have been shot with nicer video camera – panasonic HX-WA10 – H20proof model…old and discontinued or updated to newer model.

tomorrow i will use gopro set at 1080 – narrow and panasonic – u will see much improvement.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i did not know – wow -the benchmade was a 9050 – kewl and fast….. 😉
    Federal regulations (see below) restrict the sale of automatic knives to anyone other than United States Military, Federal Law Enforcement, Law Enforcement, Fire, Rescue and EMT personnel with acceptance of the “Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgement Form

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

How did you open it so that you could sharpen it???
    Did it seem like an auto opener to you??

Jason Reep
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

Max great video as always. I have a couple Benchmade knifes they are great knifes worth a few $ too.

Jason

Mark76
    Participant

tomorrow i will use gopro set at 1080 – narrow and panasonic – u will see much improvement.

Ah, GoPro. I guess I’ll have to get that one 🙂 . Really interested in your 1080 vid!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

vid is like 10.5 mins.

i have questions regarding Infidel – Model: 3300BK – sharpening in two weeks – please advise on thoughts and opinions – seems to be wide angle and narrow – but boy what a kewl knife…omg

then one of my younger gold hunting friends is a chef at local seafood restaurant and tonight he dropped his Shun SGE0707 and small piece of the tip broke off – i also need thoughts and opinions on repairing.
    thanks

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I would take the edge up to the point on the Shun it is hard to see whether the knife has been sharpened a lot from the picture my Shun has a thinning bevel behind the primary – cutting bevel which is highly polished and is probable about 5mm wide when new but that angle is very low but if that is not present I would put in a bevel behind the cutting bevel which should be 16Ëš the thinning bevel I would do as low as you can get I managed to get an angle of about 8.5Ëšfor this on my EP but even if you can only get to about 13Ëš this will do the cutting bevel should not be any wider than 1mm preferable 0.5mm. This will ensure a very keen edge plus since he is a friend I would take the edge as far as possible – to the strops . I would avoid any grit lower than 200 on such a steel it may take a bit longer but this is a very expensive Shun probable in the region of 200$ mine is more an entry level Santoku 32 layers of damascus steel cladding a VG10 core

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I would take the edge up to the point on the Shun it is hard to see whether the knife has been sharpened a lot from the picture my Shun has a thinning bevel behind the primary – cutting bevel which is highly polished and is probable about 5mm wide when new but that angle is very low but if that is not present I would put in a bevel behind the cutting bevel which should be 16Ëš the thinning bevel I would do as low as you can get I managed to get an angle of about 8.5Ëšfor this on my EP but even if you can only get to about 13Ëš this will do the cutting bevel should not be any wider than 1mm preferable 0.5mm. This will ensure a very keen edge plus since he is a friend I would take the edge as far as possible – to the strops . I would avoid any grit lower than 200 on such a steel it may take a bit longer but this is a very expensive Shun probable in the region of 200$ mine is more an entry level Santoku 32 layers of damascus steel cladding a VG10 core

thanks leo

the knife is extremely sharp, but looking closely, it has many many micro chips.

please advise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.