Advanced Search

Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

one was this Vitorinox. one of my fellow vendors is a seafood guy and he fillets fish and about 90% of his customers want them skinless.

at closing, he brought me one of his skinning knives to sharpen and return next sat. – market is on sat. 3 hrs.

so, what do you think is the best way to sharpen this knife for skinning – ?…it is not dull, but almost.

angle appears to be 17 to 18* by eye.

my paddles stop at 800/1000 dia. and i have coarse and fine ceramics also.

leather with 10 & 14 WE paste and 20z bottle of ken’s #0.25 cubic boron nitride from my EP days.

please advise

thanks

max

Attachments:
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I defer to the gurus on here, but I’d mark the edge with a sharpie to find the current angle and use that.
    Many people on here seem to prefer the edge left by the 1000 diamond for hunting and fishing.
    Even of they produce a shiny show blade, and it’s a knife the use, the will make a micro bevel with the 1000 diamond
    because of how it performs.

You could also add a micro bevel , say if sharpened at 18/side, make a micro bevel at 20/side which would make sharpening quicker next time.

Hope that’s some help

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Is there anything on the knife that identifies it to where you could find out what kind of steel it is made from, the hardness? To me, quite a large influence on what I will try on a given blade is determined by the type of steel that I will be dealing with.

With some of the lower grade steels that may be hardened at Rc under 56 or so, you are probably better off staying close to the factory grind. If it is a better grade and harder, it should support (in general) a more acute angle. Lower angles do reduce cutting effort.

Clay has reported that he likes a micro-bevel with the 1200 ceramics (IIRC) for field dressing game (after full edge refinement). I think the tooth thing is fine for vegetables and fibrous materials. I think if I was doing a filet knife I would go as refined as possible.

There is an advantage if you will be seeing this person regularly. You can try something and see what he thinks about the performance then go from there. Once you have the angle, it is not hard nor very time consuming to add a bit of tooth… or do a bit of stropping for them. That would give you a good learning opportunity and maybe get you a customer for life…

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I defer to the gurus on here,…

I don’t think you need to defer to anyone. 🙂

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Is there anything on the knife that identifies it to where you could find out what kind of steel it is made from, the hardness? To me, quite a large influence on what I will try on a given blade is determined by the type of steel that I will be dealing with.

With some of the lower grade steels that may be hardened at Rc under 56 or so, you are probably better off staying close to the factory grind. If it is a better grade and harder, it should support (in general) a more acute angle. Lower angles do reduce cutting effort.

Clay has reported that he likes a micro-bevel with the 1200 ceramics (IIRC) for field dressing game (after full edge refinement). I think the tooth thing is fine for vegetables and fibrous materials. I think if I was doing a filet knife I would go as refined as possible.

There is an advantage if you will be seeing this person regularly. You can try something and see what he thinks about the performance then go from there. Once you have the angle, it is not hard nor very time consuming to add a bit of tooth… or do a bit of stropping for them. That would give you a good learning opportunity and maybe get you a customer for life…

These numbers

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Google is your friend…

Victorinox Fibrox Slicer 12″ Granton Edge
    Ref #5.4723.30 – 40645
    Steel: High Carbon Stainless Steel
    HRC: 56
    Construction: Stamped

Handle Material: Nylon Fibrox
    Handle Style: Partial Tang, Molded
    Bolster: None
    Edge Angle: 20 degrees
    Attributes: optimal steel composition and processing creates a blade that is easy to sharpen but holds its edge
    Origin: Switzerland

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/content/customerSupportVictorinoxSwissArmyKnives

Q. What is the makeup of steel?

A. All Victorinox knives are high carbon, stainless, first grade, A-quality stainless steel, x 50 CrMo. They are tempered to a 55-56 HRC hardness for optimum edge retention.

Does not say much in the steel description, but with the hardness, I think I would stay at or close to the factory angle.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/kkchoser/kksteelp2.shtml
    http://zknives.com/knives/steels/x50crmov15.shtml

X50CrMoV15
    – German steel. Very stain resistant. Other than that not much to speak of. The cryptic X50CrMoV15 stands for 0.5% carbon, the other 15% is composed of 14% or 14.5% of Cr, some Mo and V. I don’t know who in German marketing came up with the idea to use X for Carbon, in periodic table it’s C. 0.5% C content means, by definition X50CrMoV15 isn’t a high carbon steel, despite of some marketing claims. In fact it has less C content compared to 440C steel. However, it’s plenty tough and resists corrosion well. If you don’t want to bother maintaining your knives this is a good choice. Except for the low edge holding ability of course. In the end, you end up sharpening it a lot more often, so low maintenance statement is really arguable. Used by Wusthof, Victorinox and others in their high end knives. Ref – X50CrMoV15 Steel Composition.

In other words… not much to write home about. Again, probably stay with the factory bevel. Try some different finishes for the guy and see what he likes.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives…

Looks like business is growing fast! :woohoo:

So, is there an Industrial Model upgrade in your future? 😉

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives…

Looks like business is growing fast! :woohoo:

So, is there an Industrial Model upgrade in your future? ;)[/quote]
    if there was a list for one, i would be on it.

i need to speed up somehow.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

And I thought you wanted information on sharpening the Victorinox knife…???

Guess I wasn’t paying attention…
    👿 😛

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I think I would flip out if I had to do 20 knives in one day!:ohmy: :unsure: It takes me hours to do 4
    knives :blush:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think I would flip out if I had to do 20 knives in one day!:ohmy: :unsure: It takes me hours to do 4

With more time on the machine, you get faster, plus doing knives for customers is different than doing them for yourself or your friends. You don’t need to agonize over every last scratch. You can often just find the existing angle, match it and start with the 600# stones. From there, it’s easy to work through the 600#, 800# and 1000# diamonds and then finish with 20 or so strokes with the strops. The knife you’ll give back to your customer will be screaming sharp (depending on the angle of course) and far better than anything they’ve ever seen before. If you work the same venue often, you’ll get the knives back after a while and it’s really easy to touch them up, just a matter of a minute or two. At shows, I usually do 5-10 knives per hour if they’re not too badly damaged or wanting a major reprofile. I spend more time on knives sent in to the shop, often 20 minutes or more making sure they’re perfect.

-Clay

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

And I thought you wanted information on sharpening the Victorinox knife…???

Guess I wasn’t paying attention…
    👿 😛

You did a fine fine job – this is just what i was looking for.
    Handle Material: Nylon Fibrox
    Handle Style: Partial Tang, Molded
    Bolster: None
    b)…Edge Angle: 20 degrees…;)

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

here is the break down for 3 hours…..
    started off with 3 cheapies (china) and one weird hand chisel grown chopper – (did by hand – time).
    then 5 henckels then the box of 6 henckels – did one big one(box out of box) and started on the santo. = 3 hours.
    brought: 11 home and deliverd today.

will post video in 4 mins. for viewing.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

With more time on the machine, you get faster, plus doing knives for customers is different than doing them for yourself or your friends. You don’t need to agonize over every last scratch. You can often just find the existing angle, match it and start with the 600# stones. From there, it’s easy to work through the 600#, 800# and 1000# diamonds and then finish with 20 or so strokes with the strops. The knife you’ll give back to your customer will be screaming sharp (depending on the angle of course) and far better than anything they’ve ever seen before. If you work the same venue often, you’ll get the knives back after a while and it’s really easy to touch them up, just a matter of a minute or two. At shows, I usually do 5-10 knives per hour if they’re not too badly damaged or wanting a major reprofile. I spend more time on knives sent in to the shop, often 20 minutes or more making sure they’re perfect.[/quote].
    we need to talk
    thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.