Advanced Search

To restrop my strops or not, that is the question

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping To restrop my strops or not, that is the question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Craig
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 13

Should I re do the strops are let them be for awhile longer?? Also I got some roo strops!! Does anyone have any thoughts on preparing them before charging them with the spary???

Attachments:
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I guess the big question is do the effect performance? If they still enhance your edges let it go. If you just can not stand looking at them? Well by all means replace them.

Bob at Oldawan sells replacement strops with double sided tape ready to go. Just a heads up? You can make them if you feel up to the job?

I have a couple roo’s and I just went ahead and charged them and started stopping. I heard in the grapevine a while back that Ken Schwwartz has a new formulation that conditions as well as charges the leather. Sorry that is all I know about that? But he is the person to talk to if your looking for 110%!
    This link will get you started, Just Google him and there is all sorts of fun to be had!

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kenscorner.html

Craig
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 13

I would say performance is there. Thanks for information source on roo strops !!!!

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

They don’t look too dark. Mine have gone much darker (black with metal particles).

I agree that performance is the key indicator.

I get good results with alcohol and a green scrubbing pad (kitchen use type). This works well for me and is basically “free” as i have this stuff already.

Low grit sandpaper also works and may help smooth out some gashes.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah I just put an order in with Oldawan Tools and got enough stock strops to redo all 3 sets of paddles, and I think it was only $24! Of course, I am mounting them myself 🙂 I love my roo strops… But only have one pair for my lowest grit .125 cbn spray 🙂 I finish my straight razors on these

Josh

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I agree. I get my best edges with fresh un nicked strops. Id change those out with new ones. Id attach a photo but im not able to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.