Advanced Search

tip

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat tip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 19

I cant seem to get the tip of the blade as sharp as the rest of the blade.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Replies: 164

Welcome to the forum – and your Wicked Edge

The easy place to start – are you getting a good burr out at the tip from both sides? I often notice that the tip is the last part of the edge where the burr forms – presumably since it gets the most use and takes the most abuse. I always try to feel the burr formed along the full knife edge from both sides when I first sharpen a knife

Tim
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Good advice, that was my error when I first started, felt a burr then switched sides. Now I test the whole length of the blade and work the sections that do not have a burr until they do. I also started (based on forum advice) using a ‘frizzed’ Q-tip and if you drag it up against the side of the blade you can easily feel it catch if there is a burr. No catch, no burr.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome to the forum – and you Wicked Edge

The easy place to start – are you getting a good burr out at the tip from both sides? I often notice that the tip is the last part of the edge where the burr forms – presumably since it gets the most use and takes the most abuse. I always try to feel the burr formed along the full knife edge from both sides when I first sharpen a knife

+1 Anther good way is to rub your thumb nail along side and up and feel for a lip. It will usually “click” rubbing over it. Do this like ever 1/2″ along the opposite side you are working on the whole length of the knife tip to heel then switch and repeat. You will get a very sharp knife forming a complet burr on both sides, then clean up your edges with the rest of your stones to your desired grit?
    Welcome and have fun. :cheer:

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Replies: 164

Good advice, that was my error when I first started, felt a burr then switched sides. Now I test the whole length of the blade and work the sections that do not have a burr until they do. I also started (based on forum advice) using a ‘frizzed’ Q-tip and if you drag it up against the side of the blade you can easily feel it catch if there is a burr. No catch, no burr.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great! Did that get you set then or are you still having an issue with the tip. Let us know and we’ll try some other suggestions if it is still giving you trouble 🙂

via Tapatalk

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome, Jim! Enjoy your WEPS!

+1 to Bob’s tip. That seems to be the reason. Maybe it’s also that the tip seems more fragile and that one is therefore very careful with it. And then the burr forms less easily.

As we say here:

🙂

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

Many times for me getting the burr on the ~1/2″ up to the tip takes as long as getting it on the whole rest of the length of the edge.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Many times for me getting the burr on the ~1/2″ up to the tip takes as long as getting it on the whole rest of the length of the edge.

Ha! This is a great tip….. 😆

Patience. Zen.

This, for me, too, is where it all comes down to point — so to speak.

If that burr isn’t there at the edge of the edge and the tip of the tip? Well, I keep learning and re-learning to not continue my progression until it is….

~~~~
    Welcome to the forum… you’re gonna love it… It’s an amazing resource.

There’s an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding the WE system. And, there is a Masters’ level understanding of the art and science of sharpening.

I’ve had the ProPack II for less than a year. It now occupies the center, place of honor on my workbench. There are lots of additions and modifications but you don’t “need” them to get the proverbial “Wicked Edge”.

That being said, you’ll end up wanting some or all!!

Keep asking questions. Keep refining your senses of touch, hearing and sight. You’ll love (and won’t be able to resist a little chuckle to yourself) how your edges just keep getting sharper and sharper and more wickeder.

A couple of months ago I wrote about being intimidated by the thought of taking on someone’s high-end or custom knives. Not anymore.

I’ve had a couple of breakthroughs after some excellent help from this Forum and have, now, attended a couple of high-end knife shows. (At one, I got some wonderful over-the-shoulder help from Bob Nash. Thanks, again, Bob.)

One of the weirdest insights from these shows is that not all knife makers are knife sharpeners!! One famous maker yesterday got all blubbery and apologetic about his knives edges. He old me he makes a hell of a knife but he’s no sharpener. He has someone who does it for him or lets customers have the blades sharpened.

There was the one guy who hammer forged an incredible edge — I’m still in awe thinking about it. Also, a guy named Murray Carter is here and he’s a famous knife maker and sharpener. (Todd Begg’s knives are dramatic but the edges were so-so.) (Relatively speaking.)

After that there’s a few great edges but I saw a lot of uneven bevels length-wise and side-to-side. Very few shaved and even fewer passed the three-finger sharpness test.

Always find ways to keep refining methods and techniques. (Has anyone mentioned the benefits of being mildly obsessive-compulsive?!!?)

Congrats and welcome aboard…

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

jim
    Participant
    • Replies: 19

Thanks everyone for the help. that was my problem. i wasnt getting a burr all the way to the tip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.