Advanced Search

Thinning a knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Thinning a knife

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Tried to search forum to find info on thinning a knife with the WEPS, search did not return any hits. I know some have posted info on this, so I’m asking for help. Friend gave me a never used custom knife that has a very small bevel, and wont cut very well. He used it to skin a Deer and it did not perform very well. I think it needs to be thinned, then maybe a nice 20 deg finished edge. I don’t have a belt sander, just my WEPS. Any help greatly appreciated. Attached is photo of edge but I don’t think its a very good pic.

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

Just reprofile it to 20dps then sharpen it.  That would be the easy solution and can be done on weps

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

It’s hard to tell how thick the knife is from the picture, but I agree with SupraneGuru that you should try re-profiling the secondary bevel before you try regrinding the whole knife profile.

As to your question about using the wicked edge to thin a blade, I don’t know if it can be done. I think the clamp will interfere with the stones ability to abrade the main bevel of the knife.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I agree, I would reprofile and call it a day… You don’t want to regrind it with anything but a belt sander imho.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If I wanted to thin a blade, I’d send it directly to Josh at RazorEdgeKnives (see the above post).  That said, I don’t think blade thickness will prevent a knife from successfully skinning a deer.  In fact, I think a very thin blade may be likely to slice into the hide accidentally.  I’ve been told that skinners may be best sharpened at 22-25 dps.  I did one a couple of years ago for a friend; I don’t recall the angles, but I polished a main bevel and ended with a 1000-grit microbevel.  He was happy with it.

Could be maybe the edge was too polished?  As in no tooth?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Same idea here. Or even make it a multi-bevel (>2 bevels) or convex knife.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Thanks Guys for your help. Sharpened at 22 deg, 200-1600 ceramics. Shaves hair and shreds paper. Had a brain fart when first looking at this knife, because of the very shallow angle. Included pics, but not very good

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.