Advanced Search

Thick blade mounting

Recent Forums Main Forum Thick blade mounting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

I have a Swamp Rat knife with a blade thickness of 5/8”. Any ideas on how I can mount it? I have a Gen 3 and do have the wide blade adapter. Of course I’m a 32nd to narrow.

AK Jim
    Participant

Sorry Blade thickness is 5/32”

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The optional 1/4″ wide cam style jaws have a maximum jaw opening just wider than 1/4″, that’s it. This is where the “original” standard vise design is helpful.  The standard vise can clamp these very thick knives. Longer vise screws may be needed to allow the standard vise to expand wide enough to hold the thick steel.

Possibly if you have a low angle adapter you can exchange the standard included screws for longer screws to accommodate that thick knife. A Tormek Small Knife Holder may be another clamping option since it holds a knife by it’s handle, not by the thick blade. This adapter will clamp in the standard included Gen 3 jaws.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AK Jim
    Participant

Thanks again I got the Tormax and it worked great you do have to be careful how you center it. Maybe the WE crew can come up with something similar as I’ll be using this for my smaller pocket knives also. Simple to mount and it works well in the Gen3 jaws.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Seems to me that 5/32″ is less than 1/4″ (8/32″).  It ought to fit in the 1/4″ jaws.  In fact it ought to fit in the standard jaws.  Are we miscommunicating or is this another case of me being too old?  Seems to happen a lot lately.  Maybe you meant 5/16″?

AK Jim
    Participant

Well TC you are not the only one getting old you are correct I meant 5/16”. Thanks for catching that👍😎

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.