Advanced Search

The Woodwright’s Shop

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic The Woodwright’s Shop

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I thoroughly enjoy watching Roy Underhill work on The Woodwright’s Shop.

Last week, he had on a woman named Mary May — she’s a master wood carver.

Very interesting to watch her techniques carving.

But, what I really enjoyed was the less than 10 minutes in the middle about sharpening the tools.

Really nothing new but still interesting. Don’t try cutting with a dull tool.

Lock in the angle with good body mechanics. Form the burr. Remove the burr. Strop lightly. Don’t roll the edge.

That got me all charged up to sharpen something…..

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Nice, Gib! I just watched part of a show. For foreigners, like myself: you can watch it online here:
    http://video.pbs.org/program/woodwrights-shop/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Last week, Roy built a wooden vise specifically for sharpening hand saws. Mildly interesting. OK, I found it very interesting.

This past Saturday was entitled: “Sharpen That Saw” He puts to use the saw vise from the week before.

It can be seen at. http://video.pbs.org/video/2365021491/

Again, it’s not about knives, but the illustration of how and why something is sharp is stimulating. The difference between cutting with the grain and across the grain and how & why that changes sharpening is well illustrated, in a cheesy sort of way.

At one point Roy says a word and there was simply nothing in my accessible memory that connected. It was as if he had made up a nonsense syllable. After some research on Google it still took me a few more rewinds and turning up the volume before I heard and began to understand fleam.

If you have that fascination for all things sharp and you might enjoy these episodes.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.