Advanced Search

The Wicked Edge Panavise/Suction cup mod

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS The Wicked Edge Panavise/Suction cup mod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 189

Joel Vaughan’s original video:

Sadly it seems I did not keep a copy of his plans.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Thanks for sharing Josh!

You made it self explanatory if anyone wants to follow and make one!

Josh
    Participant

very nice! I didn’t even know that was out there! Yeah I don’t know what happened to his website/blog…

DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Josh, I’m hoping you may have some experience with the following issue and some suggestions/ advise. After seeing this mod a year or so ago I purchased one at Harbor Freight and attached it the my PP2. It worked quite well. BUT, it then sat dormant for a couple of months. When I went to use it again I could not get the suction to stick to a surface. The only surface I have only had it attached to (when it worked) is the granite base that came with the PP2 package. Here’ s what I’ve tried: cleaning the granite, cleaning the suction (rubber) cup, rotating the handle both directions, made sure the suction cup was lined up with the base (fit inside the metal lips on the base). I can not get it to hold to a smooth (or any) surface.. Any ideas anyone?

Josh
    Participant

Josh, I’m hoping you may have some experience with the following issue and some suggestions/ advise. After seeing this mod a year or so ago I purchased one at Harbor Freight and attached it the my PP2. It worked quite well. BUT, it then sat dormant for a couple of months. When I went to use it again I could not get the suction to stick to a surface. The only surface I have only had it attached to (when it worked) is the granite base that came with the PP2 package. Here’ s what I’ve tried: cleaning the granite, cleaning the suction (rubber) cup, rotating the handle both directions, made sure the suction cup was lined up with the base (fit inside the metal lips on the base). I can not get it to hold to a smooth (or any) surface.. Any ideas anyone?

I have the one sold at lowes (or home depot, can’t remember). It is made by Besse I believe. I have been using it about 4 years now and its still going strong! I would probably get a new one – sometimes harbor freights quality stinks.

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

Now… Credit goes to someone online but it might work who knows!

“Two fold solution!
    Clean the tile with alcohol to remove all residue. Clean the suction cup with alcohol but immediately wash with water and dry with hair dryer to evaporate the alcohol. Alcohol mixes with water and will easily evaporate, you don’t want to remove the elasticity of the suction cup. If it has become hard it must be replaced. Place the suction cup in a bow or cup with some water microwave it, use wisdom, not to hot about 30 seconds to make it soft and pliable again. While it’s damp and warm press it to the cleaned area it will draw tight and remain till you want to remove it. Remember once they lose their elasticity or are to small for the object they hold up, they must be replaced with a new or larger one.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh
    Participant

We still have to get you an actual WEPS still huh? lol 😆

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Suction cup is from man made elastomer. Its has a defined shelf life. Much like a rubber band, frequent usage can prolong life cycle, but leave it at rest – it dies sooner.

Use of alcohol can and will dry it up and accelerate short life span, especially if elastomer was not composed of material that can resist alcohol.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 189

We still have to get you an actual WEPS still huh? lol 😆

:whistle: Yeah, I just have to admire from a distance for now. I already spend money I don’t have. 🙁

kpromero
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 26

I would like to do this mod for my new WES and cannot find the panavise at Lowes or Home Depot site. Any other places for the one that you all are using? Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427
    kpromero
    Participant

Thanks. Also what is measurement of plate to mount it to? I see they have one that can be purchased rather than building one and is 3″x6″.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SX8FEW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also, How about this one. would need to figure out how to screw to quartz base plate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BC1YU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

You can drill 3 holes using a carbide or diamond drill bit, but you run the risk of cracking the quarts base. You also have to be concerned about adding too much height. the most important thing is to have a comfortable place to use the system, one that sits at the right height, a place where you can rest your elbows so your shoulders do not have to support your arms and the strokes, over 20 to 40 minutes… the idea behind the pana vice is to help you see the edge. I Have a USB microscope that will allow me to view the edge at 20X to 300X. A panovice s great when you have to change the angle of the work ( for example, when soldering a circuit board )…Since the actual action of sharpening a blade does not change, Personally I do not see the need.

kpromero
    Participant

Thanks again for the help. I ordered the Bessey one from Amazon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.