Advanced Search

The WEPS is so easy that…

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started The WEPS is so easy that…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

My 8 year old can sharpen his Kershaw folder to arm hair shaving sharp! lol. Just wanted to post this up to show what a great system this really is!

So I finally went over w/ him how to mount it in the vise, safety, grind and pass direction, how to get a burr, what a burr was, how to remove it, etc. Then I guided him through the process… he did it all from reprofiling/cleaning up the edge w/ the 100’s all the way to the 600’s, reversing the grind direction w/ each progressing grit to make sure the scratches were gone.

It was kind of funny because he started w/ his right hand doing scrubbing but when he moved to his left he said “my left hand is harder daddy” :silly: Told him he had to practice and would get better!

So now the edge has a toothy finish at 600 grit, is arm hair shaving sharp, and can shred phonebook paper :whistle: 😛 Definitely not perfect, and he rounded the tip a little bit, but it’s a great start and shows how short the learning curve is on the Wicked Edge.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Ohh, that’s sweet, Josh! And great: the little boy is stepping in the footsteps of his father!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jaybe Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

That’s awesome

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Sweet!

How old was he when he got his first pocket knife?

I know mine pretends to have one already at 3..lol

Josh
    Participant

Sweet!

How old was he when he got his first pocket knife?

I know mine pretends to have one already at 3..lol

He was 5… the red one in the picture is it. He has had it for 3 years now =) Of course we had to make sure it was nice and dull at first to make sure he could handle it responsibly but he has done great.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

After seeing the injuries that some have sustained while using the WEPS I would not be quick to let a child use one. You know your kid and I don’t and maybe he’s got steady, dexterous hands, but it would be a shame to let alacrity turn to grief.

Josh
    Participant

After seeing the injuries that some have sustained while using the WEPS I would not be quick to let a child use one. You know your kid and I don’t and maybe he’s got steady, dexterous hands, but it would be a shame to let alacrity turn to grief.

Very true. He was going very slowly and I went over safety w/ him, but I don’t know why I didn’t think to have him wear the cut proof gloves! I will next time though!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.