Advanced Search

The Secret To Creating The Perfect Straight Razor

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies The Secret To Creating The Perfect Straight Razor

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

The Secret To Creating The Perfect Straight Razor Edge

This is a video one of my customers did using the nanocloth that I thought I’d share here.

Ken

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Ken!
    Yes, I am still among the living!
    By the jumping Harry my friend, that nano-cloth is something else again. Where do I get a hold of this stuff? What kind of pricing is it at various nano grits? How does one mount the cloth on the glass sheets?
    This is an amazing video and the results are mind blowing! So for the rapid fire questions, but this stuff has a high WOW factor in my mind.
    Later Ken!

All the best
    Leo

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

Well… that’s just insane!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Clay
    Are you going to be stocking nano-cloth? Do you have an idea of the price of this material…ball-park figure is good!
    I think Ken has really hit on something here that will soon be in the arsenal of many sharpening enthusiasts. I am dying to try it since I am a stropping freak! LOL!
    Good to see you back in the harness mate!

Leo

Ken Schwartz
    Participant

Well it is a bit insane – but I say that in a good way! And of course the 0.025 micron is twice as fine! Sharpening insanity is a specialty around here.

I know Clay is a very busy guy, but he has some nanocloth for the WE and is going to do some testing with compounds as fine as the 0.025 and as coarse as he wants to go (I have CBN up to 80 microns 🙂 , so I’m anxious to know how this project works out. If anything, I’m becoming more impressed with how much difference it is making at coarser grits. Finer grits – well it’s a no brainer at this point 🙂

Clay is working on an order but if you just can’t wait, just send me a message and I’ll get you going in the mean time.

I’m also going to go to BLADE in Atlanta so hopefully I’ll see some of you guys at the show in the WE booth!

Leo, the nanocloth itself has as close to no effect at all – so when you put the compound on it the effect is a PURE compound effect – no effect from the nanocloth so no scratches from the substrate like you see with balsa or leather, with the exception to date being the kangaroo leather. At this point the race is between the nanocloth and the ‘roo – both (IMO) giving exceptionl results.

Ken

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me Ken! I now have a clearer idea of how to use the nano-cloth, I think…you use compound/spray on it as one might on a leather strop or balsa. Forgive my ignorance…I am going to get more deeply into this soon; I am getting way behind in what appears to be some important sharpening advances…the video slapped me upside the face so to speak. I will PM you shortly Ken.

Leo

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks for posting this ken! I remember when Clay did the side by side comparison of the nano cloth to the kangaroo leather on his 500x microscope and they were almost identical. I am considering going w/ dan’s homebrew lapping film down to 1 micron and then going w/ kangaroo leather (thinking it is probably more durable).

Ken Schwartz
    Participant

Leo, looking forward to a chat especially about nanocloth strops!

Razor edge knives, I am just coming out with diamond lapping film over glass for the WE – more durable and an abrasive that will cut through more abrasion resista’nt steels – FYI. Let me know if you want more details – films going from 165 microns down to 0.1 microns. Lets chat and consider the alternatives I have available.

The nanocloth will also easily span the 1 micron or coarser range too.

Ken

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks Ken! I just got my paddles/kangroo strop combo in from you today… can’t wait to try it out! Yeah, I would definitely like to talk more about that… give me a call 864-810-0656.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Waiting axiously for my nanocloth and roo paddles :). I do not have a video camera, but I will definitely post the results here!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Schwartz
    Participant

Here’s a second video he did demonstrating a new technique using a lght moistening spray. Not sure if this helps or not, but it certainly looks promising. I’m impressed with how it also gets out some of those residual deep scratches in addition to refining the finish.

Ken

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Ken, you already told me about poly diamond sprays versus mono diamond sprays: poly has more cutting surfaces which results in a faster cutting rate. Can you tell me how CBN fits in there?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Schwartz
    Participant

Hi Ken, you already told me about poly diamond sprays versus mono diamond sprays: poly has more cutting surfaces which results in a faster cutting rate. Can you tell me how CBN fits in there?

I tend to use CBN most often of the three. The finest I can get CBN is tenth Micron, so past there I use Poly. I do carry poly in tenth and finer (0.050 and 0.025) but also coarser grits up to 4 microns. For straight razor usage, CBN tends to feel smoother, yet when going past quarter microns, especially 0.1 and beyond poly is quite comfortable too. Some of my customers prefer poly over CBN and will pay the additional cost of Poly – easily the most expensive of the 4 choices.

I find that there really isn’t any steel I’ve come across that CBN won’t cut. There is the theoretical consideration that CBN doesn’t interfere with the carbon content of steel that diamond does, but this really only applies at higher temperature. CBN is second only to diamond in hardness. Although more expensive than mono diamond, I find it very effective for all knife steels, with the poly giving a bit more of a toothy edge.

So the combination of affordability and good results over a wide range of grits make CBN my first choice. I do carry monocrystalline diamond in 0.025, 0.050 0.1 for those that prefer mono, but don’t carry coarser mono since good quality mono is already available in these sizes.

Ken

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.