Advanced Search

The powered Wicked Edge paddle

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box The powered Wicked Edge paddle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’m considering getting one of these w/ the transformer (to make it variable speed – it’s required anyway) and making it compatible w/ the Wicked Edge rods. I am mainly wanting to use this for reprofile work as it could save significant time. I know Clay has considered something like this in the past but haven’t heard anything. I think it’s just the next step in the evolution of the Wicked Edge system =)

Ideas for mounting are welcome, or if you know of another small hand-held sander that would work better. I think something like this mounted on one side would work fine, then dial in the angle w/ the angle cube.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

This looks interesting but only works w/ the Foredom flex shaft tool and wouldn’t really be convenient w/ the way it hooks in.

https://www.fdjtool.com/st1100-belt-sander.html

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Josh I would think the regular belt sander/grinder you already use is a better method to allow for good pressure control and heat control to the steel.  I think it’d be easier to hold a knife steady against the moving surface then to move a moving surface against a knife that is clamped and also might flex.  You’d probably get better belt wear and belt longevity using the larger old style fixed belt sander.  It is an interesting thought though.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

Thanks for chiming in Marc. Yes, in one sense that’s true however it is much more time consuming to go out to my shop and set up to basically sharpen it there then move inside to my WEPS sharpening station to sharpen *again*. Not to mention on the belt sander free-handing it isn’t as precise as I would want and setting up/using a jig on my big belt sander takes longer (and you still have angle variation from what you would get on the Wicked Edge). The nice thing about this (I’m thinking) is that you could mount your knife in the WEPS vise once, rough it in w/ the belt and transition to stones pretty much flawlessly and extremely quickly.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This has been on the radar for a long time and is definitely on the list for development this year.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.