Advanced Search

The New Prototype Arms

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies The New Prototype Arms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Robbie Lathem
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 0

Hey guys just wanted to show my video I did after I got home from Blade this year, I got hooked up with Clay and was able to score a set of the new prototype arms. I really like the new arms they work great. The micro adjustment is ingenious. Here is a look at the new arms on my YouTube channel

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 41

Hey Clay

Congrats on the WIN at the show. Glad to see the suggestions we made for the joints were able to be implemented.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Clay

Congrats on the WIN at the show. Glad to see the suggestions we made for the joints were able to be implemented.

Thank you! I think people are really going to love all the things that the new pivot assembly does. I had a partner in the business way back at the beginning and in the design phase, he talked me out of using ball joints due to a limited range of motion. It took a little creativity to get the range we needed to hit all the angles, but it’s working great now. Thank you for pushing me in that direction again!

-Clay

Scott Babineaux
    Participant
    • Replies: 80

You can put me down for a set of those new pivot arms when they become available. :woohoo:

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

I am sure happy for you and that you got the vindication for all the hard work and effort you put in. Also as a community to see the product evolve from it’s original form is heartening. That speaks volumes for the dedication and enthusiasm you still have for your product.

Compared to other similarly priced products on the market that have not changed in any major way since they were 1st launched.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I am sure happy for you and that you got the vindication for all the hard work and effort you put in. Also as a community to see the product evolve from it’s original form is heartening. That speaks volumes for the dedication and enthusiasm you still have for your product.

Compared to other similarly priced products on the market that have not changed in any major way since they were 1st launched.

I second that – good work Clay!

Richard Green
    Participant
    • Replies: 23

Wow, those look great. Put me down for a set, too!

Clay, any idea on upgrade price range and when they’ll be available?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Wow, those look great. Put me down for a set, too!

Clay, any idea on upgrade price range and when they’ll be available?

They should be ready in a couple of weeks, just tweaking a few things before we release them. I still don’t know the pricing yet, we’re trying to pin that down.

-Clay

Mark Chitty
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

definitely looking forward to the new arms to get rid of the play with the hinges

mike allen
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

I will probably buy the new arms as well.

How much improvement in sharping vs. how much cost = value for
    the new arms.

Example 25% improvement for $25.00 is a good deal. Just curious
    what are the numbers ?

Christopher Staples
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

ball joint is definatly the way to go ( been working on something for myself )

what you currently have keeps locking up on me

damn annoying

but I think its because the bottom pins are to lose the joints just keep collapsing on each other making them interlock

Christopher,
    If you use a *little* bit of lube on the joints it helps this lockup significantly. I add a bit of very light oil, let it sit for a minute, work the joint in all dimensions for a bit, then wipe out any excess.
    Works wonders!

Phil

I was going to do oil them but decided not to because it seemed that it was because the bottom latch moves too much and keeps wanting to fall over to the left / right

after adding oil I now see how it HELPS ( but not solves the problem ) it helps buy allowing the hinges to not bite into each other so instead of grinding against each other they slide a little

as for the new Arms I hope they are longer as I keep pulling the stones of the arms when doing my 11~14 inch *BF* butcher knifes …

another thing was when I first got the WEPS I found the angle fasteners thread is way to long ..
    no resistance to stop them from loosening
    ( which they did about every 20 pass’s )
    in the end I added springs to them and have not come UN-loose since

maybe even a bigger threaded bolt for the main clamp would be good
    ( mine kept coming loose and ended up gluing it down / using lock thread glue )

of cause their as also the stone holder mod shaving off what I guess is a finger guard so I can sharpen the entire blade

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Christopher,
    If you use a *little* bit of lube on the joints it helps this lockup significantly. I add a bit of very light oil, let it sit for a minute, work the joint in all dimensions for a bit, then wipe out any excess.
    Works wonders!

Phil

ball joint is definatly the way to go ( been working on something for myself )

what you currently have keeps locking up on me

damn annoying

but I think its because the bottom pins are to lose the joints just keep collapsing on each other making them interlock

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Hi guys! New to the forum. New to WEPS (hasn’t even arrived yet) but this post put a question in my mind….

Do the new arms allow lower than 15° angles?

Thanks,

Ken

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hi guys! New to the forum. New to WEPS (hasn’t even arrived yet) but this post put a question in my mind….

Do the new arms allow lower than 15° angles?

Thanks,

Ken

Hey Ken,

Then new arms come with a riser that raises the vise up by an inch and reduces the angle by 2 degrees, so on a knife that extends 5/8″ from the top of the vise, you can now get to 13 degrees. With knives that are wider and extend higher above the clamp, you can get even lower.

-Clay

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Thanks Clay. 13° is perfect for some of my favorite EDCs. I’m in!

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.