Advanced Search

Testing sharpness in Japan

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Testing sharpness in Japan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

No, not a Samurai. Something more mundane, but very cool nonetheless.

Rgds,

Chet Parks
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 9

Wow, that’s pretty impressive. One of the reasons I purchased the PPII is because I have a pretty extensive collection (about 28-29) Lie-Nielson hand planes, most are bronze and I thought I could figure out a way to sharpen the plane irons on the weps. For the irons that have a slot in the blade it was pretty easy. Just stand the blade on end (vertical)and centered in the vice. The top screw of the vice goes thru the slot of the blade to clamp and the bottom screw of the vice can either push against the plane blade or go thru the slot to push against the movable part of the vice. I’ve done several blades now and they turned out great. I had to play with the angle of the rods a little to get the right angle but with the angle cube it was easy. I’m now working on how to do blades without slots and then on to chisels. Just a FYI for any woodworkers out there.
    Chet

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Wow, that is real impressive. All most harder to believe wood can be shaved that thin and that long of a strip than the fact the plane is so sharp. :woohoo:

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Very Impressive, have never seen anything like that before. Any idea what type of wood?

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 56

The wood is “hinoki”. That’s port oxford cedar to you and me. They also have contest using beam planes.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

That’s insane.
    I just don’t have words.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Extremely impressive. I would have thought it impossible to get a continuous ribbon of wood of that length that thin. It is also very amazing that they operator can apply even pressure fro the length and keep the plane level accross the width of the wood..
    WOW !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.