Advanced Search

Technique Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

I get the impression most sharpening is done using each stone grit on both sides and progressing to finer grits.

Is there a reason not to complete one side at a time going from the first to last stone on one side then doing the same sequence on the other side?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I get the impression most sharpening is done using each stone grit on both sides and progressing to finer grits.

Is there a reason not to complete one side at a time going from the first to last stone on one side then doing the same sequence on the other side?

Theoretically you could, but the problems with that are:

1. you will probably have uneven bevels
    2. large burr formation and over-stressed apex which will lead to a weakened edge
    3. problems w/ burr minimization

🙂

but you could work one stone for a bit, then use the other hand and work the other side with an equivalent stone for a while before moving to a finer grit – I do that all the time.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Josh is right on all counts.

I have a neurological deficit caused by non-opiate pain meds (tramadol), so I find it’s easier for me to do one side at a time. The left hand is fine, but the right works best if I can focus on it alone. I’ve had no problems working one grit at a time. When I get down to the highest grit I plan to use, I very carefully do alternating left/right strokes to remove the last bit of burrs.

Technically, I guess you could get by with one stone of each grit. Still better than a Lansky or Edge Pro – no remounting the blade.

Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

Thanks guys. I tried it and as Josh pointed out there was a large burr opposit the first side I sharpened. When I finished I had a good edge but maybe it was weakened.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.