Advanced Search

Tape ?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

I used 3M command tape. It is great. It is Thin, the glue comes off easy so you don’t have to constantly replace them. And they are not super expensive either.

The first photo is the glue peeling off.

Jason Reep
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

Best thing I have found easy to get and cheap. The foam drawer liners at Walmart come on a roll hold every knife I have used really tight. Just cut a small part fold it over spine of knife and you are good to go.

Jason

Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

I’ve been using the cabinet drawer liner and working pretty well for me.
    Marc

Benoît Membré
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

I’ve always used protective tape for painters. It has a thick texture that prevents the blade from slipping in the clamp.

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

The best thing I have found is the Eye Glass Cloth that I get with my glasses. It is super fine micro cloth.
    It want scratch, it locks down tight with no knife give. I cut a small square from the cloth and used it over and over. Easy to find any eye glass shop has it. Let me know if you try it, what you think.

James

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Do you guys use the same for flat spines as full flat ground?

I use painters tape for flat spines. I have yet to do my first FFG. I have some moleskin and puffy poster tape.

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

I have used the soft magnetic tape that has adhesive on one side. I can cut it to size. It sticks well and lasts.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Do you guys use the same for flat spines as full flat ground?

I use painters tape for flat spines. I have yet to do my first FFG. I have some moleskin and puffy poster tape.

I usually don’t use anything on a regular knife…. a thin piece of leather if I need anything on a FFG.

I’ve also tried foam tape and recently some moleskin… I like the moleskin better.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I like the moleskin better.

I like foam tape better 😉 . And for other knives I use this: http://www.drogisttop.nl/product/misc/misc/hansaplast-hechtpleister-soft-2-5x5m
    (picture on the left). Works slightly better than painter’s tape IMHO. But really, it’s all a matter of personal taste.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Mark,
    I was curious to see what you use. I followed the link, but nothing there that even looks like tape.
    Searching that page for “pleister-soft” doesn’t come up with anything either. Do you have an alternate link that might show us what you are talking about. or even just a good description?

I am always curious about other’s techniques and methods.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Weird. The link works here. But here’s an alternative link: http://www.hansaplast.nl/Products/soft-hechtpleister . It just doesn’t show the tape so well.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Here’s the English page. Same photos though.

http://int.hansaplast.com/Products/wound-care/soft-tape

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.