Advanced Search

Taking/Submitting Knife Photos

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Taking/Submitting Knife Photos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I was hoping some of our forum members who submit their photos of inspiring sharp knives, the result of using our “Wicked Edge Precision Knife Sharpeners”  could share with me and the rest of us, how you take these impressive photos. I’m referring to those bright, beautifully focused, reflective bevel shots! I can put a decent polished edge on my knives but haven’t figured out how to photograph them, yet.  Any help and tips are appreciated.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Josh of Razor Edge really has this down to a science it seems.

Marc H

Josh of Razor Edge really has this down to a science it seems.

He sure does. I read he has a special light box to illuminate his work for the pictures.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

You can subscribe yourself to #wickededge on twitter. Clay often posts links there to photographs of knives sharpened with the Wicked Edge on Instagram and Facebook. Some time ago I also posted copies of those photographs here on this forum, but there was little interest and it did cost me some time, so I stopped it.

I’ve made a lot of photographs for my blog with Japanese knife reviews (https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpress.com/). Quite often I use a lightbox with lights from both sides (for as even lighting as possible) but on good days I also use daylight.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi guys, I do a lot of photography but haven’t actually photographed a knife yet, but the principles for most objects are the same.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I’d use a lightbox with at least one off camera flash, probably two. I realise that isn’t for everyone so you can buy a cheap lightbox off ebay and shine a lamp through one side. A lightbox is basically a white tent and gives you nice even, bright lighting.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>another option is to shine a lamp through thin paper like baking paper to try and even out the lighting a bit.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>another option is natural lighting, just go to a bright room in your house, photograph the knife near the window. A good zoom won’t hurt and a cheap tripod, even a very small one is good and just a few dollars, although a lot of point and shoot cameras these days have a decent macro function.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>One drama is that some knives are just so damn pretty and shiney, so flash photography can be tricky, just remember that if the flash is bouncing off the blade badly or the lamp light or whatever, change the angle of the knife or the angle you are photographing from.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I plan on doing my first knife pics soon when I have a decent mirror edge to show off. If you like any of my photos feel free to ask me how I did them. Note my some photo on here was a quick mobile phone shot. Zero lighting concern/effort at that time, so ignore that one haha.</p>

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Thanks for those tips and links guys. I to would like to be able to take quality photos, reg. and under magnification. Good topic MarcH

Marc H

I can’t figure out how to get that bright mirror reflection shot off the bevel of one of my chef knives. I don’t know how to place the knife relative to the newsprint or picture being using to give the reflection or how to position the knife where I can focus on the reflection. Is it a close-up or macro shot? I under stand good lighting is essential. Are there any videos out there for “Sharpened Knife Photos 1.0”?

Nicko, your post does help me.  You did provide some answers to my questions and helped to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Nicko
    Participant

I can’t figure out how to get that bright mirror reflection shot off the bevel of one of my chef knives. I don’t know how to place the knife relative to the newsprint or picture being using to give the reflection or how to position the knife where I can focus on the reflection. Is it a close-up or macro shot? I under stand good lighting is essential. Are there any videos out there for “Sharpened Knife Photos 1.0”? Nicko, your post does help me. You did provide some answers to my questions and helped to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

you’re welcome. If you have a point and shoot camera i’d be starting with macro shots, turn off any inbuilt flash, it will be overpowering and from the wrong angle so it would be hard not to get it reflecting badly off the knife.

A lot of cameras these days will let you choose the area or areas you wish to focus on (usually red dots, boxes or green boxes), grab the manual and learn how to select a focus point that is the right part of the frame where the knife edge is, that’s probably half the battle, hope that makes sense.

Nicko
    Participant

This is explains the autofocus points etc.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-are-autofocus-points-on-a-camera-2688052

Marc H

If you have a point and shoot camera I’d be starting with macro shots, turn off any inbuilt flash, it will be overpowering and from the wrong angle so it would be hard not to get it reflecting badly off the knife. A lot of cameras these days will let you choose the area or areas you wish to focus on (usually red dots, boxes or green boxes), grab the manual and learn how to select a focus point that is the right part of the frame where the knife edge is, that’s probably half the battle, hope that makes sense.

What angle relative to the knife bevel do you place the camera mounted on the tripod. Are you above it, below it,  or straight out from it?  How do you position the knife? Are you using something to hold the knife in place? Is it slanted back away from the camera or tilted towards it?  Any help is appreciated.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I use a light box and my smart phone!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

I wish you had a video of you taking the pictures so I could see how you place the knife and line up the shot. I’m sure I’m overthinking it. I just haven’t found a way to hold my knife up so it reflects off the bevel so I can focus the camera on the reflection.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Nicko
    Participant

I use a light box and my smart phone!

That’ll do it!

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

What a light box does is illuminate your subject from three sides eliminating any shadows and then you add the object you want reflected in your bevel (Playing card, news print or other colorful object).  Here are two examples of light boxes (See Below).  One is a custom made ‘”Box” and the other is a commercial light cube/tent.  Both work equally well with the correct light bulbs.  If you want to hold the blade at a specific angle I use green (Or any odd color)  “Play Dough” and then clone your photo over the the green in post production.  The Knife will appear to float in space, have little or no shadow and your bevel reflection will be clean and bright.  Watch this video if you want to see a example (Click here).  Creativity is the key.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

What a light box does is illuminate your subject from three sides eliminating any shadows and then you add the object you want reflected in your bevel (Playing card, news print or other colorful object). Here are two examples of light boxes (See Below). One is a custom made ‘”Box” and the other is a commercial light cube/tent. Both work equally well with the correct light bulbs. If you want to hold the blade at a specific angle I use green (Or any odd color) “Play Dough” and then clone your photo over the the green in post production. The Knife will appear to float in space, have little or no shadow and your bevel reflection will be clean and bright. Watch this video if you want to see a example (Click here). Creativity is the key.

Great post!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.