Advanced Search

Stropping Pressure?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

When I first started using WE, I reduced the angle 1 or 2 degrees for leather stropping.  I found it difficult to reach the edge, as seen my by scope.  I also found it difficult to get a hair whittling edge.  After struggling with this, I finally tried not reducing the angle and using a light stroke.  After that, I’ve been able to get all the way to the edge, at the same time getting that hair whittling edge.

Am I missing something or not doing something right?  I thought maybe by not using a heavy stropping stroke, I might not be getting the best edge possible…?

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I’ve been able to get all the way to the edge, at the same time getting that hair whittling edge.

Sounds like you are doing it correctly!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Am I missing something or not doing something right? I thought maybe by not using a heavy stropping stroke, I might not be getting the best edge possible…?

The angle setting reduction is just “a suggestion”, not a requirement.

Your doing everything right.  That’s why we refer to it as “your sharpening technique”.  It’s an individualized thing.  We each need to find what works best for each of us and adapt our individual techniques to utilize these differences.  That’s good that you experimented with your technique to learn what fit your sharpening style and hand pressure best.  By further trial and error you’ll be able to determine if you can fine tune your technique even better to achieve a still sharper edge.

Without utilizing an instrument like a “Edge On Up” sharpness tester it’s really subjective for you to make that determination while using your knives which technique yields the sharpest edge in your experience.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I have never been a fan of doing the 1-2 deg change either. To me its using the right amount of pressure and “stroke flow”, very similar to free hand touch ups on my ceramic rods. Doing the thumb nail scrape is all you need for a sharpness test. Why strop at 1-2 deg off when you are trying to reach the apex, you are introducing another variable with the pressure dependency. Unless of course you are just trying to address the hard angle intersection between primary and secondary bevel (ie. Convex it a bit). Soft “loving” full strokes is all it takes.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Thanks for this.. I have been trying to get it right and just used 1.5 degree bump and light pressure without screwing the pooch..figure I will eventually not move the rods as I get the hang of the leather.. using the 6 micron DLF has helped in learning the edge tailing stroke and “soft lovingness ” of it as you say! 🙂

NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

I learned how to do gentle strokes by watching WE vids on YT by ModifiedZ.  Although my strokes are nowhere near as gentle as his, I think he exemplifies using a gentle, deliberate technique, that is slower, but very methodical and effective.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.