Advanced Search

Stropping Angles

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

No, these are brand new never used.

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Even more peculiar. 🙁

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Huh, I hadn’t checked mine. I just checked and my 800/1000 stones do the same thing – just like yours. Light shining through the centers.

My coarse (1.4) ceramic does the opposite, major light at either end (bowed); and the fine (.6) ceramic shows wavy light all along the stone.

My leather strops – coarse bows like the coarse ceramics with light at the ends, and the fine leather strops is wavy along the full length like the fine ceramic.

My Kangaroo strops: coarse is fine, the fine just shows minimal wavy light.

Clay – HELP.

Zamfir
    Participant

Naww. I just think during manufacturing there was a defect in the way it was put together or something. I am not sure how the plates are connected to the handles or what the quality inspection process is or where they are actually made. Something like this can easily happen and the team out there are quick to respond and set me out a new set with a return label so I can send these back. no coin out of my pocket. Aluminum that thick can bend easy so if it was not installed on the handle correctly it could distort.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Naww. I just think during manufacturing there was a defect in the way it was put together or something. I am not sure how the plates are connected to the handles or what the quality inspection process is or where they are actually made. Something like this can easily happen and the team out there are quick to respond and set me out a new set with a return label so I can send these back. no coin out of my pocket. Aluminum that thick can bend easy so if it was not installed on the handle correctly it could distort.

Base plate are not aluminum, if it is then the angle cube would not stick to it.

Thanks for bringing this subject of distortion to light. I just checked mine, they are not brand new, my WEP had sharpen 5 knives, both 800 and 600 grit diamond are shown – having the warped problem!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hey guys… so as not to derail this wonderful thread I created another thread here that you can post pics and discuss issues related to stones. 😉

Zamfir
    Participant

Good Call! I was feeling bad about that. please use the other topic for stone and paddle stuff. makes way more sense.

Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

It’s possible the stones are off, though I think not. However, what would I do in that case? How do I get them “unramped” or back to parallel with the platen?

First you’d need to measure the thickness at each end with a micrometer if you have one, if not then at least a very good ruler. Then you could cover the thin side with tape temporarily to protect it while you lap the thick end of the stone down to the thickness of the thin end. At that point, you’d need to lap the whole stone a little to get it flat all the way across.[/quote]

Man oh man, the genius of simplicity!

Clay, I want to take a quick second to say that your great replies, as well as your patience and politeness on these thread has always impressed me. No less so the absolute brilliance of this fix, as I thought surely this was an insurmountable problem!

Much thanks to you, a creator of something so marvelous and fun. And given the time of year, a humble thanks also to the Creator who you reflect.

-Pie

Todd Simpson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 47

The convexity that Clay demonstrates is absolutely consistent with what I observe at smaller scale with finer abrasive and less force.

What is not clear to me is how this is different from the convexity introduced by profiling a bevel with sandpaper on a foam mousepad.

I would suggest that convexity is produced when stropping on a compressible, elastic substrate simply because the pressure is higher near the edge and abrasion is more rapid in the region of higher pressure. In the image below, I have two pieces of foam with a strip of paper to show the interface between them. They are compressed by a granite block on top. The paper shows the position of the interface when the forces are in equilibrium – the same convexity profile observed when stropping on a pasted substrate…

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Using the information in this thread I’ve now changed my method to going -2* for stropping with my leather strops and using heavy pressure. Not only are my bevels shinier but are now MUCH sharper. Shaves hair with almost no force whatsoever. Thanks Clay!

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.