Advanced Search

Strop compounds?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Strop compounds?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PowerHouse
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Quick Question. Is there anything wrong with having the Diamond Compound and then later switching to the Emulsion compound? Or should a person just stick with one?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

As long as they are the same grit I don’t think it should matter too much. There will always be some remnant of the larger grit particles in the strop until you replace the leather thought.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the forum PowerHouse.  The vehicles whether it’s the paste compound or the emulsion are just the delivery system to apply the diamond abrasives to the strop.  I wouldn’t be concerned about the vehicle.  Only the grits.  I wouldn’t want to contaminate the strop surface with mixed grits of a large size difference.   Mixing 3.5µ and 4.0µ probably wouldn’t cause a problem.  Whereas 4.0µ and 1.0µ might.

The strops can be scrubbed/wiped cleaned with rubbing alcohol on a towel. Although, this may not remove all of the impregnated abrasives.

Another alternative is to replace the leather on the strops, ($3 from Wicked Edge), when changing grits.  The leather strips are hot glued to the plastic paddles.  It peels relatively easy and is easy to glue a new strip.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    PowerHouse
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Cool. Hat is what I thought. I figured it I stayed with the same abrasive number it would be fine. Like 1 and 1. Or 0.5 and 0.5.

Also. I have seen in some videos and read in places that it’s good to mist them to keep from flaking. But some are saying water. And others alcohol.  Anyone think this mattress?  I would think the alcohol would dry the leather out over time. But also I see alcohol is recommended for cleaning. But for during use thoughts on fine mister bottle with distilled water.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I sometimes mist my strops with Isopropyl Alcohol.  The mist seems to affect, (improve), the paste compounds more then the emulsions.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.