Advanced Search

Strop Care & Maintenance

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Strop Care & Maintenance

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

Where are you guys getting the leather to replace the damaged strops?

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

cows?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :silly:

Based on the original leather, I would think a quality 6oz veggie tanned but not dyed leather (the type used in crafts and for tooling) would be great. I’d look on eBay (I bought some great 10oz armor leather on there a few weeks ago that I use as a mat and when cleaning guns). That said, I have many small nicks in my WE leather strops, and I have no plans to replace it any time soon, then again I am not going down to sub micron sprays.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

cows?

Based on the original leather, I would think a quality 6oz veggie tanned but not dyed leather (the type used in crafts and for tooling) would be great. I’d look on eBay (I bought some great 10oz armor leather on there a few weeks ago that I use as a mat and when cleaning guns). That said, I have many small nicks in my WE leather strops, and I have no plans to replace it any time soon, then again I am not going down to sub micron sprays.

Good point, I also have two strops with many small nicks. When loaded with the WE compounds they work just as well as some brand new ones. My microscope confirms that. Could indeed be different when you enter the sub-micron space.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

cows?

Good point, I also have two strops with many small nicks. When loaded with the WE compounds they work just as well as some brand new ones. My microscope confirms that. Could indeed be different when you enter the sub-micron space.[/quote]

You guys would probably be appalled to see how beat up I let my strops get and still just use them like crazy and love the results. I only change them out to go to shows where they have to look nice.

-Clay

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Clay, have you tried any other leather for the strops i.e. Elk, Deer, Buffalo, Pig, Shark, Stingray etc. What is the thickness of the hides that you use for the strops? Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.