Advanced Search

Strop Care & Maintenance

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Strop Care & Maintenance

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Welcome to the club Kevin…I did exactly the same thing when I got my WEPS. I finally checked with Clay and found that all I needed was a 1 inch strip the width of a pencil lead good for 50 knives or so.
    I was chagrined to say the least when I discovered how much diamond paste I had wasted for I did it on each side! Sigh! :blush:

Cheers
    Leo

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Just received my balsa strops, how do you charge them with diamond spray, i.e. 1 micron, 1/2 micron

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

1. Place the strops/paddles on a paper towel.
    2. Shake your diamond spray bottle.
    3. Spritz the surface of the strops – 1-3 spritzes is more than enough
    4. Let it dry for at least 10 minutes (or until no more puddling)
    5. Flip paddle over and repeat with the next grit spray.
    6. Enjoy!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

6. Enjoy!

Leo, you really should consider setting up a Wiki about the Wicked Edge (although a lot of it is general knife sharpening). I just read too many concisely formulated and very to the point posts lately among the large number of posts here :cheer: . <= the smiley is about the great posts, not ironic about the Wiki.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

6. Enjoy!

Leo, you really should consider setting up a Wiki about the Wicked Edge (although a lot of it is general knife sharpening). I just read too many concisely formulated and very to the point posts lately among the large number of posts here :cheer: . <= the smiley is about the great posts, not ironic about the Wiki.[/quote] Mark I think that Clay is thinking of doing that very thing. If I knew how to set up a Wiki I would do it. I will check. Later mate Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

6. Enjoy!

Leo, you really should consider setting up a Wiki about the Wicked Edge (although a lot of it is general knife sharpening). I just read too many concisely formulated and very to the point posts lately among the large number of posts here :cheer: . <= the smiley is about the great posts, not ironic about the Wiki.[/quote] Mark I think that Clay is thinking of doing that very thing. If I knew how to set up a Wiki I would do it. I will check. Later mate Leo[/quote] Hi guys, I am wanting to do that very thing, just as Leo said. I'm envisioning a matrix that lists Make, Model, Steel, Angle (maybe could even have space for primary and secondary bevels), Depth Settings, Alignment Mark, just like in the instruction set, but expanded to included a little more info about the knife. I'll need to talk to our webmaster about the technical side of setting up the Wiki online, but the matrix itself should be pretty easy to do.

-Clay

Marion
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 41

Clay that would be very handy indeed. Will the Matrix be printable? And will I have to fight off any Agent Smiths?

How many applications will the average user get from a bottle of the diamond sprays?

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

Here’s my small matrix that I print and keep with my WEPS:

Knife Depth Position Angle
    Spyderco Military CF S90V 2 B.5 15
    Spyderco Navaja CF S30V 2 C 15
    Spyderco Superleaf CF VG-10 2 B 15
    Spyderco Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP 2 B.25 15
    Spyderco Manix 2 CF S90V 2 B.25 15
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2 CF S90V 2 B.5 15
    Spyderco Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189 2 B 15
    Spyderco Sage 1 CF S30V 1 B.5 15
    Spyderco Lum Chinese CF VG-10 2 A.5 15
    Spyderco Caly 3 CF ZDP-189 1 B 15
    Spyerco Chaparral CF S30V 1 B 15
    Spyderco Kiwi CF VG-10 1 A.5 15
    Spyderco Ladybug VG-10 1 A 15
    Spyderco Temperance 2 VG-10 2 B.5 15
    Spyderco Schempp Rock VG-10 2 B.5 18
    Kabar NextGen 440A 2 C.5 18
    Lone Wolf Lobo CF S30V 1 B 15
    Leatherman Charge TTi S30V 1 A.5 15
    Richmond Remedy CPM154 2 D 15
    CRKT Minimalist 5Cr15MoV 1 A.25 15

Yes, I have a Spyderco problem 😉

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hi all,
    I’ve started a the matrix, still need to figure out how to publish it so that it’s editable by all. Please have a look and share your feedback. You can download it here: Knife Wiki

-Clay

Jamie Baldwin
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 31

I’ve tried to open the documents but I”m getting XML data format, bunch of numbers and symbols.
    :huh:

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ve tried to open the documents but I”m getting XML data format, bunch of numbers and symbols.
    :huh:

It’s an Excel document, so it might be a version issue. What version, if any, of Excel do you use?

The new knife wiki is going here: Knife Sharpening Recommendations. As soon as I can figure out how to use it, we’ll be up, I’ll post the data I already have and it will be open to all to contribute.

I’m hoping we’ll get some great contributions for all kinds of knife sharpening tops, not just stuff for the Wicked Edge. I’d love to see a comprehensive steel section, a comprehensive knife anatomy section, another for blade designs, a good history section – really anything knife related with solid research and references.

-Clay

Jamie Baldwin
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 31

Excel 2007 ..and I agree with the knife related topics and references. Comprehensive is the key word here 😉

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Read through here but couldn’t find an answer (although I remember reading something about it somewhere lol). When I’m replacing the leather on my strops due to nicks or cross contamination, what do you recommend? Last time I did it using contact cement… but it seems somewhere I have read that you should use double-sided tape.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Read through here but couldn’t find an answer (although I remember reading something about it somewhere lol). When I’m replacing the leather on my strops due to nicks or cross contamination, what do you recommend? Last time I did it using contact cement… but it seems somewhere I have read that you should use double-sided tape.

I haven’t tried tape for the strops, we use hot glue. We only use the tape for the stones.

-Clay

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Try Elmers Glue All. It holds tight and if/when you want to remove the strop material (leather or balsa), it comes off very easily by soaking in hot water. Just make sure to use clamps to get a tight seal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.