Advanced Search

Stones direction? Uniform or circles?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Stones direction? Uniform or circles?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

So my itch is ready to be scratched lol, a colleague bought in about 8 knives (I said bring in a couple haha). All good i’ll enjoy practicing on them 🙂 the boss is out Friday and we have some work knives thst need sharpening too, so will have a few hours of sharpening bliss haha.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Hey Nicko,

About the pressure your applying on the stones, when I started I was actually not using enough pressure when I started with a stone, and it was not producing great results for removing scratches. By applying a little more pressure (med. to me)  at the beginning of each stone, it set the scratches of the stone I was using and removed the scratches from the previous stone very quickly. Then I would start to lighten up progressively with the same stone and it would shrink, if you will, the scratches I set with it at the beginning. If I tried to get to light and didn’t keep consistent pressure then I wasn’t happy with that result either. If my scratch pattern is consistent, then by the time I get to the fine grits and strops there is no evidence of unsightly scratches.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant

Thanks sk, i’ve been doing exactly what you said and finishing with ultra fine strokes. I cant wait for the loupe to arrive so I can have a look at the scratches etc! Thanks.

Nicko
    Participant

Thanks sk, i’ve been doing exactly what you said and finishing with ultra fine strokes. I cant wait for the loupe to arrive so I can have a look at the scratches etc! Thanks.

So the loupe was really interesting. Re-sharpened an old pocket knife this morning. it was sharp but not the paper slicing weapon it now is haha.

After some great advice from you guys I changed to edge leading for the stones, alternating heel to tip and tip to heel through the stones, with some scrubbing thrown in, then stropped the 5 and 3.5 strops. My mistake, i though Clay was doing a lot of edge trailing strokes in quite a few videos, but I wasn’t paying near enough attention! My fault for doing multiple things at once.

The loupe showed me my left handed strokes need work, and the loupe was excellent in showing fine bits of marker where I hadn’t put in enough work with the 100 stones.

highly recommend the loupe or microscope method, removing previous scratches makes a big difference IMO.

Thanks guys!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant

Hi, so after trying quite a few different methods, here’s what works for me.

For my average knives like kitchen knives I only sharpen to 1000 grit, trust me, that’s plenty, 600 grit is actually plenty for a crazy edge.

Ok I scrub with 100 grit to get the angle I want and remove all the marker on the edges. Then I do some edge leading with the 100 grit just to get the scratches aligned.

Next I do 200 edge leading strokes with each stone, it seems like a lot but it just means I don’t have to keep stopping and checking with my loupe.

And that’s it, watch your fingers with edge leading, I tried to fillet a finger today and don’t recommend trying that lol.

Today I used this technique on a large kitchen knife and the edge is scary, I sharpened it to 18 degrees, arguably a bit fine for a kitchen knife but I did it for fun. Holy hell that thing destroys paper and shaves effortlessly! Scary indeed, I warned my wife to be careful of that knife if using or cleaning it!

Happy sharpening, edge leading is the answer for me.

Cheers.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I do each and every grit the same procedure or routine as you wrote you did with the 100 grit.  I do not count strokes.  I do enough strokes to reach the results I’m looking for, then move on up a grit.  I start with 100 grit only as needed.  If I can get by starting at a higher beginning grit, (say 400 grit), I will.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant

I do each and every grit the same procedure or routine as you wrote you did with the 100 grit. I do not count strokes. I do enough strokes to reach the results I’m looking for, then move on up a grit. I start with 100 grit only as needed. If I can get by starting at a higher beginning grit, (say 400 grit), I will.

I used to Mark but I read that scrubbing may cause micro chipping and edge leading produces the sharpest edge, certainly seems to!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.