Advanced Search

stone storage question

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance stone storage question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    matlocc
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 10

should I store my stones in the case with or without the bags or does it really matter?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

You don’t need the plastic bags for the stones.  If you have strops with various grit paste applied, those are better off in plastic to minimize contamination.

Welcome to our forum!

Alan

2 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Welcome to the forum!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome the the forum! As to the answer to you question, I completely agree with Alan.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Agree with all.  If there’s nothing to protect your stones from, the only consideration is possible contamination.  I traded off my strops to go exclusively to film, but before then I kept the strops in their original boxes.

When I started out, I bought a tool tray from Grizzly which could hold five pairs:

When my collection of stones grew, I made a long block with 1/4″ aluminum pins in it to hold the blocks and keep them from every touching each other.  Another benefit is that I can keep left and right in the same relative positions and can keep them in a single vertical orientation if I wish.  This way I can control which ends are used most heavily.  I can also tell when one side or the other is performing correctly:

Yes, it’s possible to snag yourself on the tip of a blade when reaching to exchange stones.  I’ve been clipped a few times, but never when exchanging stones.  Sometimes, having a hazard staring at you helps to keep you on your toes.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

tcmeyer- Can you please upload of picture of it?  I would appreciate it.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

tcmeyer
    Participant

A picture of what?  Both sets are shown as posted on my end.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

I can see a place holder on my iPad that links to your Smugmug but I can’t open it.  On my PC, I don’t see any photos or place holders?

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

tcmeyer
    Participant

I had just opened the SmugMug account and hadn’t yet gone thru the settings.  Now I’ve changed them to public, so hopefully they’ll open correctly.  Let me know if the link still doesn’t work.  If not, I’ll probably have to repost.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

I can see it now, many thanks!  I am looking to do something similar.  I have seen a lot of ideas’s.  So far, this one is the best.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.