Advanced Search

Stone stops – protecting serrations & plunge lines

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Stone stops – protecting serrations & plunge lines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

So I mentioned this in another thread … looking for something that would be very small so as to not get in the way and yet be functional. This results from experience of myself and others (see Clay’s post here). So Pinkfloyd pm’d me an idea of these

They look like they would be PERFECT if I ground off that lip and used some sort of non-slip cushion material, however, when I looked them up on Amazon they appear to be cheaply made and have poor reviews.

So I figured I’d post up to get input from everyone, any ideas?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Don’t have an answer… but what was your solution on handling the serrated portion (from that other thread you linked)?

I did see these after looking at your other link…

http://www.amazon.com/5pc-Midget-Panel-Clamp-Set/dp/B00AZA5C7Q/ref=pd_sim_328_1/175-3237945-0500842?ie=UTF8&dpID=41seWKEEQWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Y6X9KKSVF0C7P5MB924

…wonder if they could be adapted somehow.  Look better made anyway.

Attachments:
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Josh,

These might be sturdier (although a little macabre because of what they are used for). But I believe you could custom make them yourself also. Double, Triple screws along the length for different applications.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=skull+clamps&view=detailv2&&id=460E7605D8961CEF5F4C564EFA4FF4FBB2005882&selectedIndex=0&ccid=DIVbOvRL&simid=608021444220421975&thid=OIP.M0c855b3af44be8b6df4e3e866cc2a52co0#enterinsights&FORM=IRBAIN

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant

yeah I like those curtis… I was just wanting something w/ 2 flat faces to prevent scratching… but come to think of it these couldn’t be hard to make!

pinkfloyd, nice!! They may work if you flipped them around or ground off the points… but I’m wondering if I could fabricate some w/ small screws to almost mimic a WE vise?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

What about something like office file folder clips. They’re plastic, cut to length, rubber band in place?
    http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/801/438/249/1274059866077_hz_en_mp32_8_22318.jpg

Also, anyone have problems with the forward most serration where it meets the standard bevel snagging? Do you file it down?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

I like those!! If you used a rubberband as you suggested you could cut them to a custom length to where they would bump up into the scales and prevent them from sliding backwards… great idea!

I’m not sure what you mean by the forward serration snagging… I haven’t had any trouble that I can recall. how does it snag?

Mikedoh

I don’t use combi blades routinely, was showing a friend a little protech auto I had, and he mentioned that he had trouble with the forward most serration grabbing/snagging on his knife and filed it down some. Mine is mostly my “end table” knife and is used for opening letters, packages, and minor duty for simple tasks chair side. Just thought I’d ask and see if it was a common problem, or specific to his knife and uses.

those plastic file doohickeys seem like they might be a cheap, easy, effective solution. If you try them, let us know how they work.

edit: Piranha auto, not protech

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

What about something like office file folder clips. They’re plastic, cut to length, rubber band in place? http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/801/438/249/1274059866077_hz_en_mp32_8_22318.jpg Also, anyone have problems with the forward most serration where it meets the standard bevel snagging? Do you file it down?

I just ordered a 100 pack lol… I will see how they work and if they work well I’ll post em up here to see if anyone else wants some!

Mikedoh

Elastic Velcro might be better/safer than fooling with a rubber band for regular use.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Binder Clip

How about binder clips? Maybe put a little tape on the inside to protect the blade.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

Clay, have you used these? Do they work well? My concern w/ these would be that they would slide when you bumped into them w/ the stones and thus not offer much protection, also it would be difficult to use w/ plunge lines whereas the binding bars you could cut to length… gonna give it a shot and see how it works =)

cbwx34
    Participant

I’ve tried “binder clips”… didn’t think it worked all that well.

Those plastic ‘binding bars’ look promising… cut to length so they don’t slide, a piece of blue tape would probably hold them in place.

Hurry up Josh.  🙂

Josh
    Participant

Alright… I’ve tried this on 2 blade shapes so far and it works PERFECT! I can foresee the scales getting in the way on some knives but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. For serrations I don’t think you would have an issue, just degrease the blade and use blue tape to hold it in place.

This is a Kershaw Launch 1 blade only…

Next I tried a Strider SNG:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant

Which size  did you get? The listing I found,,, they come in different sizes.

Josh
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>These would work on up to 1/4″ thick blades ?</p>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.