Advanced Search

Stone Sequence

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    jjegonzalez
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hello everyone,

Can someone share the basic sequence/order of stone grit to follow. I understand it all depends on the condition of the blade and whether a polished/mirror edge is desired. But what would be a general sequence/order say after a 1000 grit stone?

I have seen some videos of guys saying that you can’t/shouldn’t ‘skip’ any one grit. Just trying to learn the craft and get words of wisdom.

Thanks…

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

From what I understand, the goal is to erode the scratches left by the previous medium and replace them with scratches that are shallower and narrower. In theory, you could go directly from 1,000 grit to a 10,000 grit stone and you would eventually (after a few continuous weeks of scrubbing) erode all of the 1,ooo grit scratches and replace them with 10,000 grit scratches. The reason that most people don’t sharpen this way is because it would take forever. It is much faster to progress through several intermediate grit stones before reaching for the 10,000 grit. Thus, you want to choose a grit progression that will allow you to quickly erase the scratches from each preceding medium.

Okay, so how do you know if you have removed the scratches from the previous grit? As you get into the higher grit media, it becomes nearly impossible to see the scratches with the naked eye, so many people use a jeweler’s loupe or a microscope to view the secondary bevel of the blade.

In the below thread you can see Clay uses this method to determine what grit progression he recommends after the 1500 grit diamond plate. He shared examples of what it looks like when the scratches from the previous grit have been efficiently erased by the next step in the progression as well as examples where the scratches were not efficiently removed. For the TL;DR he ended up recommending 1,000> 1,500> 6 micron film> 3 micron film.

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/new-1500-grit-stone/

Take this all with a grain of salt as I am by no means an expert and am simply repeating information that I have learned though this forum and youtube. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in and give you their opinion as well.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jjegonzalez
    Participant

What you say makes plenty of sense. As a beginner, I want as much advice and input from folks that have been doing this more than I. I am building my WE accessories and want to ensure I obtain stones in the order they should be used. Thanks!

jumpstat
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

For me after the 1000 diamonds, i’ll be using the ceramics 1200/1600, then leather strops 5/3.5 microns and lastly 1/0.5 microns.

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

For me after the 1000 diamonds, i’ll be using the ceramics 1200/1600, then leather strops 5/3.5 microns and lastly 1/0.5 microns.

Clay made a lot of research here

Strops or stones ?

Diamond lapping films work better. Many people switched from ceramics to diamond lapping films and are very happy with results.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marshall
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

My current set up – I have stones up to the 1000 grit diamond … I have the gen 2 vice and old non-precision arms…

I plan to upgrade…

so my upgrade plan is to buy the precision arms, the angle gauge and either the 1500 grit diamond or the 1200/1600 ceramic stones… what is your advice between those two stone choices?

jjegonzalez
    Participant

Hey Marshall,

I am a novice with the WE system but I like you have been looking and asking a lot of questions. So far, what I have (and it all depends on what you are doing and what you want to get out of it) starting with the 100 g and worked my way up to the 1000 g. I recently got the 1200-1600 g ceramics. As mentioned, it all plays on what you want. Some folks like a fancy polished edge while others prefer functionality. A person that doesn’t know knives or how to use them may want what shines and sparkles. I have found a lot of information through this forum, youtube and of course the man himself, Clay! Hope this helps…

dulledge
    Participant

so my upgrade plan is to buy the precision arms, the angle gauge and either the 1500 grit diamond or the 1200/1600 ceramic stones… what is your advice between those two stone choices?

The new 1500 grit stone may replace 9µ and 6µ films, but it wasn’t confirmed which one is better yet. Film or the new 1500 grit diamond stone. Many people like diamond lapping film (not ceramics). See quotes below:

wickededge: I’ve had a lot of success going from the 1000# diamond to the 6µ films. Link here

M1rrorEdge:  I have all the ceramic stones and once I identified the diamond film benefits (and used them), I no longer use the ceramics (They are “retired”-so to speak).   I have tried the strops, however, I prefer the films over the leather strops with diamond paste. Link here

Mark76: SInce I’ve discovered the diamond films I want nothing else – they’re great. Link here

tcmeyer: I don’t think there’s much doubt that diamond film gives you a more uniform finish than the ceramic stones and like you, I have retired my ceramics. Link here

droc217: Got the lapping films. I feel like the ceramic stones were a complete and total waste of money … Link here

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

My current set up – I have stones up to the 1000 grit diamond … I have the gen 2 vice and old non-precision arms… I plan to upgrade… so my upgrade plan is to buy the precision arms, the angle gauge and either the 1500 grit diamond or the 1200/1600 ceramic stones… what is your advice between those two stone choices?

I don’t know if the 1200 / 1600 ceramic has been directly compared to the new 1500# stone in a post on the forum yet. However, in that thread about strops or stones that dulledge keeps making reference to you can clearly see that the ceramic stones do not abrade steel very rapidly. On Clay’s test knife it took him somewhere around 120 strokes per side in order to completely remove the 1000# scratches. It would be interesting if Clay could comment on about whether the 1500# removes the 1000# scratches in an efficient manner. For what it’s worth, I ordered a setup with the 100#-1000# and then the 1500# with no ceramics. I don’t have a microscope yet and the stones will need some break-in time, so I won’t really be able to make a good judgement on this progression for a while.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant

Would be interesting to compare photos after the same number of strokes:

1000# >> 1500#

1000# >> 9µ film

1000# >> 6µ film

Marshall
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

i don’t have hrs to spend on sharpening and polishing a blade so it looks like the 1500 grit diamond would be my pick…

Also where can i find promo codes for the wicked edge online check out

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

i don’t have hrs to spend on sharpening and polishing a blade so it looks like the 1500 grit diamond would be my pick… Also where can i find promo codes for the wicked edge online check out

I think that’s the way I’d go, if I was starting from scratch.

I’m not aware of any promo codes, but yesterday’s e-mail newsletter takes you to a “Holiday Pack” page where prices are discounted by 25%.

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product-category/holidaygiftpacks/

Jonesthegas
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

The 1500 grit diamond stone comes with a glass blank platten on the other side. What diamond film would be best to follow the 1500 diamond? 1.5 micron?

Martin

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’d go for the 3 micron (although I use the 6 micron to be sure). See the grit chart.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I don’t have the 1500 grit stones yet, but FWIW, I go from 1000 grit directly to 6 micron film.  And I love it.  The 6 micron film removes metal quickly enough that I have to wash it with alcohol after only two or three knives.

The WE grit comparison chart lists 6 micron as being between 1000 and 1200 grit, but my chart has it at 3000 grit.  I think that the WE chart was made before the diamond film came into use here, so I’d be interested to hear if Clay has subsequently re-evaluated the comparison.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.