Advanced Search

"Steeling" a knife blade

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Here is another very good blog post by Todd about using a steel on your knives: https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/what-does-steeling-do-part-1/

-Clay

6 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

There’s a lot of good information available , although, some is quite technical, by subscribing to this “Science of Sharp” Forum/Blog.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I used 1/8″ Diameter round Tungsten Carbide a little less than 5 and 1/2″ long. A Hot Glue Gun to hold the rods in blank Wicked Edge paddles.

the same angle as the stones, right after the strops.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Do you find that this improves your edge compared to how it performed after the strops?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant

yes

I was taught in my youth that a “sharpening steel” sharpens a knife in a different way than “sharpening stones”.

if you look down at a knife that had just been sharpened with stones with a microscope the edge would look straight.

then looking at the same knife after using the “steel” under the microscope instead of the edge looking straight it will have a wiggle to it.

at that time I did not have access to a microscope, but the theory seemed to work.

I see sharpening with a “steel” as working with a different principle than sharpening with “sharpening stones”.

Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

I’ve been using this one for decades: https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=8871&network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=353703054&adgroup=pla-42887322744&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-WRBhCKARIsAAId9FkfnTSE8JZqnwRB2I7T6A0QJoS6kEPSm0BvgO6HLxZ9pFWgvUTyQvkaAnNUEALw_wcB

It’s not what I’d call a “sharpening steel”, but a burnishing (honing?) steel as it’s perfectly smooth and highly polished. All it does to the edge of a blade is burnish it–as Dwight describes above. It does seem to be great for a follow-up after sharpening a knife, but it doesn’t remove any steel at all. I often touch-up my kitchen blades with it when working. It does make a difference. I’ve watched professional chefs use a smooth glass bottle for the same thing.

It can also pull a nasty burr off to the side of an edge if not used at the correct angle.

When I think of “sharpening steels”, I think of the ones with ridges cut parallel to the shaft. These work like a linear files, and can quickly remove a lot of steel. I’ve seen far too many nice kitchen knives ruined by the use of these by completely hollowing out the belly of the blade. I have no use for them. Butchers seem to use them a lot for touching up various boning and breaking knives–where a positive belly doesn’t matter, as they’re not cutting against anything.

Dwight Glass
    Participant

Timm the “Hot Glue” did not hold up to the “Neatsfoot Oil” that I use on the “Kangaroo Strops”, I replaced the Hot Glue with “Flex Glue”.

When I test the edge on the “Bess PT50A” the “Tungsten Carbide” dose improve sharpness.

I no longer “steel” with the same angle as the sharpening stones, I go just “hair” more acute or steeper angle, but that is just me.

Dwight

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.