Advanced Search

Stealth Knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Stealth Knives

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Gizmodo – These knives only need sharpening once every 25 years.(enter this into the browser to read the article.

My first thoughts are-
    are they really sharp enough to begin with

the handles inspired by stealthy war machines will either be comfortable or for some not comfortable for others
    although the style is Japanese the bevel tapers to a flat wedge at the heel more like a cheap Chinese knife
    what quality is the steel in the body of the knife

I would say they are too expensive to appeal to commercial food processing businesses
    I can not imagine a well trained chef would go for a set since my feeling is that the bevel angles are conservative limiting the sharpness

I imagine they would appeal to comfortable off home cooks that are more concerned with displaying them than everyday use

Does anyone here have one or know anyone that does use them?
    I do not think they will steal many clients away from the sharpening folk

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to have a razor sharp knife for 25 years without sharpening, this is not the case. This type of marketing is sad really… and even sadder that people believe it!! I dull a ceramic knife to an unacceptable limit in about a month. And when this “stealth” knife gets dull, I am assuming there is weaker steal underneath since it’s just coated. Not to mention I doubt it is sharp to begin with as the coating would round the apex.

in that larger pic it looks like it has been sharpened revealing the steel underneath. that’s interesting.

If i were to spend this kind of money I would go with some decent quality japanese made chef knives that are proven. Not this marketing hype.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I agree. While the design targets a very limited audience, the price and shape removes the appeal to the vast majority leaving hype marketing the only buoyancy to keep it afloat. I wonder if tb group has even been around 25 years and as Josh said, it’s a coating on the blade which keeps it nice but doesn’t do the cutting.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Mall Ninjas

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have to say I agree with all of you the worst part for me is that they have tried to copy a Japanese theme &then stopped the bevel short of the heel as so many cheap Chinese knives do plus its a stocky profile so it will not be that sharp with a finish that looks like it was done with 40 grit.
    I maintain the people who will buy these will be occasional home cooks who main reason to own these is both as a talking point & as a visible kitchen accessory .

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

“There’s a sucker born every minute”, often attributed to PT Barnum who was overshadowed in more recent times by the “Wait there’s more” campaigns of the hucksters selling Ginsu knives. The marketing geniuses of the stealth knife are just trying to cash in on this phenomenon. For an interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginsu
    Not that I would really advocate it, but for the money, I think a set of Ginsu cheapo knives and a decent steel may be a better option than these over priced and over hyped stealth knives in the long run. My sister in law actually has a whole set of the early Ginsu knives and she loves them. The only reason they cut at all is the exceptionally thin blades. I keep my mouth shut when visiting and occasionally make use of my pocket knife if helping in the kitchen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.