Advanced Search

Standard arms

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Standard arms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Ted S
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 31

Got my WE base model today and expected the arms to look like the second set (with washers) shown in this video:

The arms look like the first set but seem to have less “play”

A suggestion – add a picture to the website that shows “whats in the box” to reflect what the current parts look like – figure 8/page 12 but an actual digital photo.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Just out of curiosity, did you order through the wicked edge site or did you go the route I initially did and get it on ebay? My base kit also came with the older arms (no washers, pins, etc.). I am thinking the seller had bought up a few and is still going through that older stock. I have since learned my lesson and all the rest of my purchases have been directly through the Wicked Edge site here. I now know I am getting the latest version and the support of all the great people here.
    Anyway, I did the washer and screw mods to my arms myself, but since I had all the parts on hand already, it was just a matter of time for me. No expense involved. I did something a little different for the base of the rods where it seems like everyone was/is using a fender washer to keep the paddles from hitting the top of the joint. I just took some 1″ self adhesive felt pads, stuck 2 of them together (sticky to sticky), drilled a small hole through them and slide them on the rods. This keeps fillings off the joint and cushions the downstroke as well. It also keeps the rods from dropping to the base when you remove the paddles to the side as the felt pads rest on the cross bar. I can post a pic if you’re interested…
    Of course, this is what works for me, your solution might be completely different!

I hope this is of some help to you

Chris
    Participant
    • Replies: 351

Got my WE base model today and expected the arms to look like the second set (with washers) shown in this video:

The arms look like the first set but have much less “play”

The arms that you describe as the “first set” are how they come, from any of the dealers or WE.
    They may now be a slighty tighter fit, but mine were not.

Wicked Edge offers a service to “modify” them for you.
    I’m guessing if you were to request this at the time of purchase from “Wicked Edge” only, they may be able to do this before they send the WEPS?

Failing that, it’s required to send them in to get done.

The arms are not being modified unless it is requested.
    There is no option on the site to add this option to the basket at purchase time.

I would also imagine there will be a cost involved?

Hopefully this thread will add some clarity?

A short comment by Clay here-
    The small amount of play from the stock arms is eliminated and if that little bit of play bothers you, then you might consider the Upgrade Kit.
    Another option is to send your stock arms in to us for modification which involves the installation of a washer and replacing the pins with screws to tighten up the joint.

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=7173&Itemid=63#7173

Perhaps Clay can add something else here, like a cost etc?

Ted S
    Participant

Unit came directly from WE. I incorrectly assumed that they would update the stock arms with the washer and screws for all new units or at least add them to the shipment for self install.

I can appreciate charging for the new ball joint arms due to the extra mfg. costs but to ask users to send stock arms to them for small modification (washers and screws) is surely not “user friendly”.

Chris
    Participant

Unit came directly from WE. I incorrectly assumed that they would update the stock arms with the washer and screws for all new units or at least add them to the shipment for self install.

I can appreciate charging for the new ball joint arms due to the extra mfg. costs but to ask users to send stock arms to them for small modification (washers and screws) is surely not “user friendly”.

I guess it’s better than saying, “fix them yourself, we can’t see any problem with them”?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum Ted!

Just outta curiosity, did you find a problem with the arms you received, or just bothered because you expected something different? The reason I ask is, most users have had excellent results with the standard arms, I think only a few have needed the pin replaced with the washer/screw modification.

I think because a few we’re pretty vocal about the pins, it was perceived as a problem that needed replacing. I’m not sure of the numbers, but I’m guessing that if it was a large number it would be replaced, if for no other reason than it would quickly become time consuming and costly to replace a large number after they’re sent.

If you want/can do it yourself, drop them an email… and they’ll send a set to you.

I have the screws, but have yet to replace the pins, they’ve been working great for me. (I also have the new ball joints, but still trade off with the original arms.)

Hope this helps. Clay pays attention to threads like these, so posting your initial thoughts I’m sure is helpful.

Chris
    Participant

I think only a few have needed the pin replaced with the washer/screw modification.

I think because a few we’re pretty vocal about the pins, it was perceived as a problem that needed replacing. I’m not sure of the numbers, but I’m guessing that if it was a large number it would be replaced, if for no other reason than it would quickly become time consuming and costly to replace a large number after they’re sent.

Here is a good read for you cbw.
    TOPIC: Linkage play–your technique for consistency?
    http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=1888&Itemid=63

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=3470&Itemid=63#3471

It seems most topics keep coming around again on here.
    I’ll keep searching.

Are you counting only the ones that were sent in to Clay?

Ted S
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Ted!

Just outta curiosity, did you find a problem with the arms you received, or just bothered because you expected something different? The reason I ask is, most users have had excellent results with the standard arms, I think only a few have needed the pin replaced with the washer/screw modification.

If you want/can do it yourself, drop them an email… and they’ll send a set to you.

I have the screws, but have yet to replace the pins, they’ve been working great for me. (I also have the new ball joints, but still trade off with the original arms.)

Hope this helps. Clay pays attention to threads like these, so posting your initial thoughts I’m sure is helpful.

Thanks for the welcome.

Don’t know if I have a problem yet because I don’t know if diamonds are “broken in” after working on two
    knives which are not as sharp as I expected. I also did not see anything in faq or wiki that provides an estimate of the number of strokes needed to complete the “break in” period.

One BIG concern I have is if an experienced user like jdavis882 had a problem with the original arms, how is a rookie like me supposed to get great results.

One of the main reasons I chose WE over Edgepro is jdavis992’s honest evaluations with the WE shortcomings and improvements.

Chris
    Participant

Yes, he has me fired up a bit suggesting I’m one of only a few also. 🙁

I might get a list together from posts here on this forum.
    See how many is a few!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Ted….

Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure there is, or could be an estimate of when the stones are broken in… a majority of it occurs after a couple of knives get a good sharpening… but they’ll still continue to improve over time, especially the finer stones. Maybe after a couple more knives, if you’re still not getting what you expect, you can give some specifics to help figure it out. There’s also some other variables, like how much you spend at each level, etc., that you’ll get more comfortable with as you go.

Chris,

Sorry you’re all fired up!! 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=7173&Itemid=63#7175

Some of the above was taken out of context. Seems like a tactic to make a point, rather than tell the entire story.

From Clay, same post that was extracted above:

Personal experience

I just returned from the New York Custom Knife Show where I sharpened several hundred knives over the weekend. I alternated between using the Pro-Pack 2 and the Pro-Pack 1 throughout the show. Neither the customers nor I saw any difference in sharpness or edge appearance from one system to the next. The main difference is in the way the units feel to use, the range of angles available and the ability to adjust the angle to a very fine level with the Pro-Pack 2. All the knives sharpened, regardless of which kit I used, were equally sharp and equally beautiful.”

From Bob Nash, same thread:

“I continue to be extremely happy with my original arms – I own both sets and use them both, but I use my original arms much, much more, getting amazing results with no visible faceting or angle variance showing up. I use my ball joint arms primarily with my choseras and shaptons, to match the angles more precisely.

My advice for folks has been basically – if you are going to be sharpening straight razors or know that you are going to be working with natural/manufactured wetstones that are going to wear with use then you should probably go for the ball joint arms right away. They are also a must for piece of mind if you know you are going to want the most consistent angle you can possibly produce no matter the thickness of the stone or strop you are using. If you aren’t in that group, start with the basic Wicked Edge Sharpener kit. You are going to have more angle consistency and control and you are going to get results that can’t be achieved with nearly any other system out there and you are most likely going to be very happy.”

That is a bit more of the story on the Arms.

There are those among us that are never really satisfied and feel the need to tinker with something good to try to make it “better”. I am in that group BTW. The oringinal arms are plenty good, and will yeild excellent results without modification. I used them on 100s of knives over about a year and a half, and was thrilled with the results, as were my customers.

BTW, checking for discussions on this forum does not give any indication of what the general population that has purchased the WEPS system is concerned about. In this context, I would be willing to bet that the percentage of people owning the WEPS that have worried about arm play with the original joints, much less actually modified them, is very low. This means that even though the subject has come up here and a “few” have posted about it, it does not mean that the difference has been significant to the vast majority of the WEPS users.

Phil

Chris
    Participant

Sorry Ted, it seems this will never happen, even though it’s a great idea.

It’s an “if your not happy” service!

Now I’m in the spotlight for being honest.
    I see Clay thanked the post above, but still hasn’t commented in this thread?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Sorry Ted, it seems this will never happen, even though it’s a great idea.

It’s an “if your not happy” service!

Now I’m in the spotlight for being honest.
    I see Clay thanked the post above, but still hasn’t commented in this thread?[/quote]

I’m away with my family for the weekend without my computer and giving long answers on my phone is a big challenge. In a nutshell, we may eventually have all the Basic Kit units shipping with the screws and washers, but it’s a slow process with our factory to get that done, so we probably won’t see them shipping that way until the second half of next year. I don’t personally find it to be a problem but do recognize that others do, hence the option to send yours in for us to mod, if you’re not satisfied with the arms as they are.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

BTW, checking for discussions on this forum does not give any indication of what the general population that has purchased the WEPS system is concerned about.

I’m sure it’s better than just guessing? 😉

In this context, I would be willing to bet that the percentage of people owning the WEPS that have worried about arm play with the original joints, much less actually modified them, is very low.

So you are willing to “bet” about knowing peoples thoughts?

This means that even though the subject has come up here and a “few” have posted about it, it does not mean that the difference has been significant to the vast majority of the WEPS users.
    Phil

Does it need to be the “vast majority”?
    I can appreciate that you feel like you need to defend this Phil, but it’s all a bit silly really. :P:

Chris
    Participant

I don’t personally find it to be a problem but do recognize that others do, hence the option to send yours in for us to mod, if you’re not satisfied with the arms as they are.

Thanks Clay, if there was an option to add this service to the shopping basket or simply order it through a dealer this would be great.

Perhaps a leaflet in the WEPS box?

Is there a cost involved?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.