Advanced Search

Spyderco Tenacious Edge Issue…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Can anyone tell me what’s going on with this edge?  It’s really sharp, but when I looked at it under mag, this is what I saw…it starts about half way to the tip, and down close to the tip.  

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by NorCalQ.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Looks to me like some nasty damage, maybe chemical, to the bevel from prior use. Did you get any before sharpening pics ? Can you use the diamonds to grind it out ?

NorCalQ
    Participant

This is an unused blade.  Only chemical I used on it was alcohol, to clean it,  Do you think I can grind past it or is it thru and thru?  Although I’ve had it for a few months, I’m thinking I should return it before I go any further.

Readheads
    Participant

Hmm, I would definitely return it, probably a bad batch of steel or heat treat (poor Quality Control, IMO).

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 189

Are you certain this isn’t surface dirt, like residue from packaging tape?

NorCalQ
    Participant

No.  I cleaned the knife with denatured alcohol prior to sharpening.  Went thru all the grits and a couple of strops.  It couldn’t be adhesive residue.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 40

Does it appear on the other side of the bevel too?  8Cr13MoV is considered stainless and is fairly resistant to typical corrosion.  To see it on a sharpened bevel that removed the steel though makes one think it isn’t corrosion unless it was really deep.

Spyderco typically has good customer service. Send it in they fix or replace.

I’m not sure how you return a sharpened knife to a retailer.  It is pretty much used then whether you acutally cut with it or not.  Unless of course you ordered it direct from Spyderco.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

I really do not understand what I am looking at..

where is the bevel in that picture.. and where is the apex of the bevel??

Readheads
    Participant

8Cr13MoV is nothing to write home about (google), return it and invest in a great steel that you will have for the rest of your life

NorCalQ
    Participant

Yes, it did appear on the other side of the bevel as well.  I think I may have solved the issue for now.  I ground a new bevel using the Tormek, although it took a few tries to get past the aberration. I’ll sharpen on WE and see what happens. So weird.

Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 40

8Cr13MoV is nothing to write home about (google), return it and invest in a great steel that you will have for the rest of your life

Yes that steel can’t compete with some others in todays world of really high performance knife steels. Within the same brand Spyderco probably has greater variety then most especially considering all the sprint runs and dealer exclusives too. However, like everything there is tradeoffs. In this case $ .  You can buy something in a current hotrod steel like Maxamet or K390 but you’d be 4x the price. The Tenacious model is a good value and Spyderco always seems to nail the heat treat for a production knife company. I don’t own that model anymore but it performed heads and shoulders above a Kershaw I had at the time in the same steel.

It can still get really sharp and cut and can last a lifetime. Just end up having to sharpen it comparatively more frequent.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.