Advanced Search

Spyderco Sage Series Clamping position

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Spyderco Sage Series Clamping position

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jacob
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 24

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Google search has not turned anything up for me.</p>
    This spydie hole in this knife creates some issues with clamping. Combined with the FFG I can’t figure out how to properly clamp it. It’s a short blade and the taper makes it really difficult to clamp without having most of the clamp on hole.

Here is some pictures of the knife and the WE. 

How would you guys clamp this?

I know I could remove the blade from the knife but this is a knife I use a lot and I’m hoping I can find a way to do it that can be easily repeated for touch ups.

Thanks!

-Jacob

Jacob
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 24

0E462408-8C4F-49ED-82DE-1CA08CA67E66
    F1BA41EE-E920-44FE-9F0F-417416B8628D

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Perhaps I’m missing something, but with it clamped as you’ve shown in the bottom example I don’t see a problem. As long as the blade is held firmly enough so that it doesn’t move during the sharpening process I think you are good to go.

The FFG nature of the blade will cause it to lean to one side in the clamp, but this is okay and can be compensated for with some modification to your angle settings. I looked for a post on how to do this but didn’t find it on a first pass. If you search the forum you can find the instructions on how to correct for the angle differences.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have two Spydies and I’ve clamped both up with half of the hole in the clamp with no problems.  The Gen 3 vises, however, have pads at the corners and I avoid placing one of the pads in the “hole”, where it  might not get a good purchase on the blade.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.