Advanced Search

Spyderco Manix 2 Grind

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Spyderco Manix 2 Grind

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Menendez
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Hey Guys

I am going to try my number three this weekend I am looking for the factory grind angles on a Syderco Manix 2 with CTS BD1 steel. Can someone direct me where I might find this information?

Thanks
    Mike

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have heard that spyderco sets their factory angle at 17* per side… but I would not hesitate to pick up the phone and call them if I wanted to keep everything exact.

If you don’t want to call them, use one of your ceramic stones with the sharpie trick and light passes… you could figure it out very quickly =)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Have you done a search on the Spyderco forum already? Or you might try asking the same question there.

Or else, send a mail to Spyderco. They are usually quite helpful.

And if you cannot get an answer, in that way, use the Sharpie trick with the ceramics. Always works.

[Edit. Three people posting at nearly the same time. My info seems a bit superfluous. But this forum is getting popular :cheer: ]

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I would definitely recommend the Sharpie trick. While a knife may have a given spec, Spyderco’s bevels are done by hand and you’ll find some variation. Won’t help you to know the target was 17° if your knife is 15°

I’m not implying poor QC, just human variation in a hand process. All the knives (now up to around 80ish 😉 ) I’ve gotten from Spyderco have been very sharp, just not exactly equal to each other.

They also tend to be very conservative on what their steels will handle. I don’t blame them for that. You never know who is buying a given knife for what task. But I buy them assuming I’m going to take the angle lower if I’m going to carry and use the knife. I haven’t tried BD1 so I have no idea what it will do, but I’ve never left a Spyderco with larger than 30° inclusive and generally somewhat lower than that.

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Hey Guys

I am going to try my number three this weekend I am looking for the factory grind angles on a Syderco Manix 2 with CTS BD1 steel. Can someone direct me where I might find this information?

Thanks
    Mike

I did my Manix 2 at 18 degrees and it matched well with the factory bevel.. easily within less than one degree.
    If you want to get as close as you can, use the sharpy method. I understand that Spyderco sharpens each blade by hand.. at least the Golden, CO knives. They can vary a bit.

Mike Menendez
    Participant

The grind on my Manix 2 ended up being about 16 degrees using the angle block. I worked the stones just like Smokeeater908 does on his videos and my edge was better. I am using the ProPak 1 but it still is not Wicked Sharp or no way does it have a mirrored edge I can only assume to get a mirrored edge you need additional stones.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Mike,
    I really suggest, after just going back and watching the video that I think you refer to, that the method or technique that he uses can be improved upon. Once you raise a burr, you really do not have to do that again. After burr formation, I feel, that sweeping strokes are better.
    Have you checked any of Clay’s videos. If not, you would be well served to do that and try his method.
    Here is one to check out

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=77&video_id=1

Just trying to be helpful

Phil

Mike Menendez
    Participant

Thanks for help and video link I will take all of the help I can get.
    I am a bit frustrated at this point thinking I would get better results than I gotten so far I am not at the point of giving up yet but I also don’t think I need to spend any more money on my system either.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Mike…

You’re right, you don’t need anything else at this point. You probably won’t get a polished bevel, but that’s not needed for a great edge.

Maybe you can better describe the results you’re getting… for example, shaves but won’t cut, cuts but won’t shave, doesn’t cut at all, etc. Pictures sometimes help too.

I’ve read your other threads, and you’ve been given all the points about burrs, etc… do you feel like you’re reaching those points? While Phil is right that you don’t burr at every level… you might want to put a little Sharpie between stones, just to make sure they’re all hitting the bevel properly, and reaching the edge.

Other than that, may just take a little more practice to get comfortable with the system… not using too much pressure, etc.

Hang in there… results are worth it!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Mike,

I’ve been following along a little and everyone’s comments seem right on. If you haven’t already read through this tutorial, it might be worth your time: I just got my Wicked Edge and… I’m guessing that the biggest issue you’re facing is that your stones aren’t broken in enough yet. Once they settle in, you’ll really start to see better and better results.

-Clay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.